Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Salt & Water

Blog Entries

Salt & Water

There are a few VERY simple experiments that almost everyone can undertake at home, with stuff most people already have available in the kitchen.

One such example is tinkering with a salt and a liquid, in this case, common salt and plain water.

I've decided to give it a spin as a sort of "proof of concept" experiment and post it here for reference.

The "matters" used here are sea salt (we used Celtic) and water (we used distilled spring water, collected directly from a local spring).

All there is to it is basically "Dissolve & Coagulate". But you can tinker with it, like varying the heating (or no heating) temperatures when the salt is dry (between dissolutions), various temperatures for evaporating the water, etc... Later you can also introduce other variables, light solar and/or lunar exposure, different matters, etc... Just get some tinkering done!

In addition to the salt and the water, you'll probably need a hotplate and/or an oven, stuff that is already present in most households. A boiling flask can also be nice, but perhaps not absolutely necessary.

Anyway, here's what happens to the salt during and after the water is evaporated in this very simple and very basic experiment, after a dozen or so cycles:

Note: This did NOT happen after the few first/initial cycles, only a bit "later in the game"...

If you've read the Golden Chain of Homer, you can also play around with the liquid-to-solid ratio, and perhaps see which ratios make it "climb" and which ratios lead it more towards fixity?

Maybe there is a lot that can be learned/observed from such simple basic stuff...

Nice...thanks for the generous info.

Charles Littlefield worked on this "vitalization" also.

Do you notice any difference between electric vs fire heat sources? How about indoors vs outside?

Those are my only questions. Much needs to be learned through trial and error.

EDIT.....Nevermind, I need to stop smoking cannabis and learn how to read...
    I've decided to give it a spin as a sort of "proof of concept" experiment and post it here for reference.
    Last edited by Dendritic Xylem; 07-11-2019 at 06:44 PM.

CuSO4 (blue vitriol): dest. water (from tumble dryer)
    1:3 ratio(mass)
    T~60-70C (electric heat plate)

Already climbing after first round.

Second round: The beaker already isn't enough anymore.
    This is interesting!

Pretty images. Thanks for sharing. The way the salt climbs it appears to be alive or growing. Looks like a fun experiment with salt and water.

Blog Entries
    Does the climbing salt change in chemical properties or is it just alchemical properties?

Does the climbing salt exhibit a sign that spiritus mundi is now present?
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

For such a small post I really love this, thanks Andro! I will be sure to toy with this some. I have a question, when you get such a salt and it starts to climb. Would it climb if under a vacuum?

Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post
    Does the climbing salt change in chemical properties or is it just alchemical properties?

Does the climbing salt exhibit a sign that spiritus mundi is now present?
    Depending on what is being worked with, the higher the salt the more fine grained it is (chemical properties) and it also tends to be significantly more "piercing" in power (alchemical properties)

Quote Originally Posted by Philosophical View Post
    For such a small post I really love this, thanks Andro! I will be sure to toy with this some. I have a question, when you get such a salt and it starts to climb. Would it climb if under a vacuum?
    Yes

On another forum once run that he who shall not be named, a guy did something similar, albeit with natural atmospheric humidity. After many cycles his salt was able to corrode a common stainless spoon.

Devil's advocate may say it was simply due to the salt absorbing nitates in the air, slowly forming a sort of AR, but sometimes it is hard to differentiate chemical from alchemical phenomenon. But I do believe the climbing and volatility could be an alchemical indicator.

The saying does go, make the fixed volatile and the volatile fixed. This sort of weird inversion of properties.
    Feel free to PM me. Always interested in networking. Don't be shy, dearie.
    http://i.imgur.com/RoTaXgG.jpg

Blog Entries
    "Dissolve & Coagulate" is pretty much "gospel" when it comes to certain alchemical practices. Repetition of the process will in many cases alter the properties of the involved matter(s) in ways that can not be necessarily explained by common chemistry. From a treatise by an anonymous author: "If one cannot find out the remedy, place one similar upon another similar and healing will result."

I didn't post this little experiment as some sort of "alchemical recipe", because it isn't. Its main purpose is to encourage people to tinker and experiment in practice, especially the "armchair alchemists" among us

+ Reply to Thread