Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cheap distill kit from Evilbay

Cheap distill kit from Evilbay

So I wanted to get my feet wet and because it was in my budget I purchased this to do some essential oil extraction with steam distillation.

After some broken glass and some repair which I took as a sign I was not ready yet, I spent some good time reading and decided to go ahead with the path.

I have some questions about the equipment I bought because I realized its not the setup I initially thought it was and will likely not be as successful. But I won't let this hold me back anymore.

With the glass stopper top on the 500ml flask I am afraid I will lose some of the oils I am trying to collect, is there a way to seal this? Is it even necessary to seal this with something other than just the glass top?

Blog Entries
    You could use some glass grease, but that stuff can be expensive.

I use PTFE tape (plumbing tape) and that works pretty well. I also just go glass on glass for most things.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Quote Originally Posted by White Belt View Post
    So I wanted to get my feet wet and because it was in my budget I purchased this to do some essential oil extraction with steam distillation.

After some broken glass and some repair which I took as a sign I was not ready yet, I spent some good time reading and decided to go ahead with the path.

I have some questions about the equipment I bought because I realized its not the setup I initially thought it was and will likely not be as successful. But I won't let this hold me back anymore.

Any start into the lab work is good ... this is when she starts to teach us.

Congrats White Belt.

I think this setup most likely won't be enough to actually get visible amounts of etheric oils out of plants.
    But you might get some well odorous water. Better keep it in the fridge, otherwise it might putrefy pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    I think this setup most likely won't be enough to actually get visible amounts of etheric oils out of plants.
    But you might get some well odorous water. Better keep it in the fridge, otherwise it might putrefy pretty soon.
    Hey, FF thanks for replying. I am not sure what odorous water is or etheric oils do you care to elaborate? I might be thinking of different terms maybe they mean the same?

I am using cannabis btw, and intend to use the oils to flavor some already extracted wax.

I know that there should be essentially two major components gathered from this process. The essential oils, and the hydrosol.

I figured the hydrosol would easily separate from the essential oils like either below or above it, I do have a separation funnel (not sure if that is what it's called) not sure if I needed to use it.

How long would you suggest putting it in the fridge to "cure"? So many different recipes I have read ranging from 5 days to 30 days , I assume this odorous water is where the nitrogen smell comes from?

Hey, FF thanks for replying. I am not sure what odorous water is or etheric oils do you care to elaborate? I might be thinking of different terms maybe they mean the same?
    The etheric oil of a plant can be seperated. When doing a steam distillation of plant mass it swims on top of the water in the receiver. The amount is relatively small. Even with plants that contain a relatively high amount of etheric oils, like most Lamiaceaes.

By "odorous water" I meant the hydrosol, like you also have mentioned in your last post, e.g. the water that is below the oil that is swimming on top after the steam distillation. It can smell nice as it carries small amounts of etheric oils in it, but not enough so that it seperates and form a visible layer on top.

When using these kinds of small stills I never got a visible amount of etheric oil. Not even with Lavendula and the two flask method and not even with a re-built 2L steam cooker.

I am using cannabis btw, and intend to use the oils to flavor some already extracted wax.
    I am no expert, but I guess the etheric oil of cannabis is not psychoactive as it is a different substance than THC or CBD, which also have a higher boiling point than 100C (boiling water). But you said you want it to flavor something.

I figured the hydrosol would easily separate from the essential oils like either below or above it, I do have a separation funnel (not sure if that is what it's called) not sure if I needed to use it.
    You'd only need it if you saw visible amounts of etheric oil swimming on the water. You put it all together inside the seperation funnel, open the tap and let all the water run out. You need to close the the tap before the oils drip out. This way you got it seperated from the hydrosol.

How long would you suggest putting it in the fridge to "cure"? So many different recipes I have read ranging from 5 days to 30 days , I assume this odorous water is where the nitrogen smell comes from?
    I don't know what you mean with "cure". I was referring to the proteins of the herb that tend to come over with the hydrosol and putrify relatively quick (serve as nutrition for a fungus, or bacteria) and it starts to get foul.

Nitrogen doesn't smell (the air consists of almost 80% nitrogen). You may have the smell of ammonia in mind. That can also occur when proteins are decomposed, but can also be smelled when burning the plant.

Blog Entries
    Cannabis yields very low quantities of "etheric" oil. I doubt you'll get any with this setup, but you are welcome to prove me wrong

If you wish to practice "etheric" (essential) oil extraction, maybe start with a different/"easier" plant, such as Rosemary...

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    Cannabis yields very low quantities of "etheric" oil. I doubt you'll get any with this setup, but you are welcome to prove me wrong

If you wish to practice "etheric" (essential) oil extraction, maybe start with a different/"easier" plant, such as Rosemary...
    I have plans to get this setup asap - which will most likely be in a month or two -

I have the most experience with this plant as well as several years of cultivating and extracting it with other methods,and don't really have the extra funds or access to any other plants oddly enough atm.

The magical glow of the candle light as it illuminated the process was enchanting and made the small yield all the more precious.

The first sweat that appeared was more than I had anticipated. I wonder why Andro you thought I wouldn't get anything? Is the setup that crappy? I used little over half a cup of water and let it cook off until most of the water was a fruity smelling dark brown tea color, and the drip drops slowed to a halt.

Took about 3 1/2 hours. With about 1/2 oz. of cannabis maybe a little more didn't want to overfill.

There was enough fruity smelling liquid left over to store in a small vial and put in the fridge.
    I will do another run tomorrow, probably only have time for one because the glass takes a while to cool down enough to where I am confident it won't break when handled.

Your new to come apparatus looks like a good step-up in lab gear.

It's always a good idea to put your boiling flask in a sand bath on the heating element.

The sand bath can save many breakages.

You may also like to invest in some s/s joint clamps as the plastic ones can break
    allowing your apparatus to fall apart and shatter.

Blog Entries
    I wonder why Andro you thought I wouldn't get anything?
    I've worked with this plant before, in different ways, and the yield of essential (volatile) oil was very, very low compared to other plants. Your setup is not "crappy", but I (as well as other people who were doing similar research at the time) found by experience that this plant specifically is not very rich in essential oil. Different types of setups were used but the results were always poor. But like I said, you're welcome to prove me wrong

PS: A logistical note - When you insert an image link between the [IMG] brackets, the image won't show unless the image's URL ends with an image-specific suffix, such as .jpg or .png or .gif, etc...

+ Reply to Thread