Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Alchemy Processes - What Do You Believe?

Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    The difference between alchemy and chemistry is similar to the difference between a work of art and a non-artistic object: there are hundreds of books that discuss the difference and none of them explains it in a perfect way... but those books are not even needed, because the difference is obvious (but hard to explain in a perfect way!).
    Yes, that actually reflects what I have been thinking just before. I know when I am dealing with alchemy and when I am not, but it seems hard to put a finger on it.

The closest approximation to a definition that I can come up with right now is that alchemy encompasses the spiritual/archetypal dimension in some manner.

Is your roundbottom flask just a glass container in which some chemical reaction is taking place? Or is it a womb giving birth to a philosophical child? Is your erlenmeyer just yet another bottle? Or is it a little volcano? Are the iron filings you are using nothing but a bunch of Fe atoms? Or are they Mars Himself in a terrestrial manifestation?

To some degree then, it is your perspective that determines whether you are acting as a chemist or as an alchemist. As there are many overlapses in practice.

And then there is a thing called 'speculative alchemy.' For just like modern chemistry has its theoretical underpinning, so does (western) alchemy stand on the foundation of Hermetic philosophy.

And that may be another criterion helping to define our art and science. It will always refer (no matter whether explicitly or more by implication) to that natural philosophy that goes back to time immemorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sternbach View Post
    So that's all there is to alchemy?
    This and that it's the meeting point of science and religion

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    This and that it's the meeting point of science and religion
    I'd say now we are on the same page again...

my location changes from time to time, sorry
    Can not begin to thank you for not including me in your synopsis. @ Schmuldvich of whom we have had outrageous differences of opinions and thoughts.
    and I consider a good friend that will fire back arguments at the slightest touch of thoughts.
    On this thought line I found you in the deep deep DEEP web of archived presentations here. and it brought myself back to you at this moment.

I believe I told you my private thoughts on what "An" alchemist was/is/will be . for my opinion...

An alchemist is one whom studies everything for every-thing is connected. No one person can make a claim to be an alchemist unless that person knows every thing. Some few things like cosmologies, archelogies, sociologies, metallurgies, Geologies, Magnetism-oligies, spritual-ogies, and tons of other ologies.
    Everything all OLOGIES amount to a process. a process that has and end result. A unity. A direction and path of the process. Any one sole that claims to be an Alchemist is self serving and I agree with you there. For how can one be an alchemist in its final language of truth if they still do not know everything. In the end in my opinion we are all STUDENTS.

What do I "believe our great work entails" ? A greater understanding of whom "I" am. not who I was or who I will be but the present of me on a linear time line.

POSTscript; My friend you know if you quote anything I said I will erase it. Love you and your thoughts. Just expound on my thoughts with out quoting me and I will engage you on every though you have.

my location changes from time to time, sorry
    in your trendline @schmuldvich I found @ Dragon's Tail the best slap back. Watch him, he is good at understandings.

The mystery of life is so deep and complex that it seems simple. It takes billions of cells working in unison in order for one man to have the opportunity to think of a paragraph of nonsense. It takes trillions of organisms to make a forest, to walk through. The complexity needed to make a river flow is unimaginable but in the mind of creation it is simply part and parcel of what was created. A symptom of something that was put in motion at it's inception. I believe that the great work is an experiment to see creation in process, at a microcosm level. By understanding at a experiential level how it is all formed we can understand how mind creates. He who is truly aligned with the vision of creation will walk with the full weight of creation behind him, the clouds will seem to part with his will, the birds will sing praise to his existence and it will seem as though he was favored by all of existence. My belief is that the great work, "The alchemy processes" is the search for the physical understanding the creation of reality.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anterior Taproot View Post
    It takes billions of cells working in unison in order for one man to have the opportunity to think of a paragraph of nonsense.
    Priceless

+ Reply to Thread