Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Jelly Balls!!

Blog Entries

New Jelly Balls!!

Did you miss me?
    Sorry, no pictures in this thread, just some details. I've found another way to make the jellies without using any alcohol or advanced lab gear. There are some issues but I'll get to those. This has been an ongoing experiment in my spare time, and the process needs some refining, but let's begin.

Take any plant matter you wish to extract the oil from, doesn't matter the species. Get lots of it.

Mix with lots of water and get that joker boiling. Boil it for a minimum of an hour, but more boiling is more better.

Ideally, the above solution should fill up a bane marie (sp?), you need a lot to get anything worthwhile.

Strain the mass and continue boiling it down till it starts to thicken, lowering the heat as needed. (This is my first order "tincture" of herbs. It won't go bad after it thickens, and you can work with it to get the bigger sediment out by rewetting, filtering, and redrying, which will make it's own jelly. So, first-order jellystone.)

Now, you are going to need some hydroxide. You could calcine the plant ash (and by calcine I mean burn the **** out of it until the carbonate turns to calcium oxide), or procure some other means. NaOH would probably work, but since we are dealing with plant matter, a mixture of ~4 parts CaOH to one part potassium carbonate would probably be best. If you calcine ashes from a wood fire, you can get a good mix. When you slake the mixture by adding water, the potassium salts should make some KOH, which might be needed for the process. I'm not sure yet. I've been gathering some salt from fully burnt logs by scraping off the fluffiest, whitest ash that remains and immediately soaking it in distilled water. (add the alkali to water and be prepared for it to get really hot)

In any case, the mix should be very strong, with enough water to dissolve the sticky goo from your boiling pot (which we made above). If you were to hydrate this with plain water, you would notice that it contains a lot of solids that are really hard to filter out. We're going to drive them out with our calcium solvent (or NaOH).

On mixing the alkali water and the goo, two things are going to happen. First, the goo will dissolve rather quickly. Second, you will see a snowstorm in the flask. All of the unclean garbage is going to flocculate and sink to the bottom. You will also probably see an oily sheen on the surface. I haven't succeeded in collecting it by itself, but if you can get it, it might prove to be a valuable medicine, or possibly just soap.

Stir the mixture, a lot. You want to be sure to dissolve as much goo as possible and react the alkali thoroughly with the mixture. After about 30 minutes, it should be ready. Let it settle out for as long as necessary to separate the liquor cleanly from the solid matter.

Edit: this step takes some time before fully evolving - Watch the glass over the next couple of days, and the green lion will grow and slowly devour the sun. If the solution doesn't fully evolve, then you have made an error with the ratios, which may need to be corrected by adding more of the alkaline solvent. I'm not sure what can go wrong here, but I do know that you must be patient and keep the glass at a comfortable temperature.

The liquor is now clear, but probably quite dark green/yellow. It will turn red if mixed with an acid (like vinegar), but I'm not sure that step is necessary or helpful. This can be reduced down to form a jelly again. This is my second-order jellystone and it's much cleaner than the first. If you roll some around on your fingers, you'll notice that it tints anything it touches with an oil. The oil can be extracted from it with alcohol. I haven't done it yet, but the Ens Melissa method is probably the cleanest way to get a good separation. I plan on drying the alcohol as well to get the oil in the purest form possible, but I can't afford a bottle of Everclear right now.

The jelly balls are both quite bitter to taste, and I can't confirm nor deny any healing properties, but they seem to keep me in good health and not make me sick. I take a piece about half the size of a grain of rice in water per day, and I've had less back pain and felt better through the day. Still waiting to see the results from the oil proper, but thought I would share.

In many ways, this is similar to the methodology used to extract metallic oils in the acetate path. I also haven't tried tincturing the herb directly in the alkali solution, but if I do, it will be with my calcined ashes and not with potassium carbonate. KOH and CaOH seems to be the better route, and there are some mineral hydroxides in there as well in trace amounts, as well as NaOH and MgOH and who knows what else.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have another batch to make so I can kill this jelly I got from a random plant, clean my mason jars, and prep to start over with a good herb.
    Last edited by Dragon's Tail; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:28 AM.

Yes, I missed you Dragon's Tail.

Thank you for sharing your experiments they are very helpful. I am curious about the medicinal and healing properties of your jelly balls, the oil extracted with alcohol and the oily sheen from the alkali water and goo.

Also the bitter taste is interesting, I wonder if this effects the medicinal or healing properties? Do you think there is a way to make the bitter taste sweet?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Also the bitter taste is interesting, I wonder if this effects the medicinal or healing properties? Do you think there is a way to make the bitter taste sweet?
    I don't think so. The tarry extracts always seem to be bitter, and adding a basic solution probably doesn't help. I did one sample using vinegar and it still didn't kill the bitter. Also, until neutralized, it didn't produce a precipitate, so I'm thinking more and more lately that acids are not the proper way to extract the sulphur of anything.

Thank you for the clarification.

Blog Entries
    I'm having trouble uploading pictures to imjur, ... actually I'm having all sorts of computer-related issues tonight, BUT

I did want to give a little update. I was able to procure some alcohol and covered the jelly ball with it in a small dish. I was expecting a goey mess, but so far I've seen no sign that it will dissolve at all after an hour. Curious.

I have a good quantity of my green lyon mixture (note how I put that in lowercase b/c I'm not assuming I have the magic gold-making recipe) still, so it's time for more experimenting on it. I've prepared three small dishes in which I've mixed equal parts of the solution with 5% distilled vinegar, ordinary water, and alcohol. The vinegar solution changed color instantly and lightened with no precipitate, as before. Waiting on results from the other two dishes. I'm hoping to see a separation with the ethanol, but who knows.

I also mixed up another batch with a LOT more of the concentrated decoction, same stuff as before, and again, there are peculiar happenings. I watered part of it down a lot after decanting from the settled precipitate, and while the solution lightened quite a bit, it still stratified in the jar, till tonight, when it was all dark green.

I added more solvent to the decanted portion, and again there was a lot of precipitate produced. It's still layered though, green over reddish-yellowish over the settled precipitate. I think that since there was so much more tar, it's taking much more solvent to react it all.

There's tons to explore here if you are interested in plant alchemy. I post this experiment not as an end, but a starting point for further investigation.

Another cool note, the concentrated green lyon solution (that hasn't gone totally green yet) is manufacturing a lot of oil that's floating to the top and drying above the watery fractions below. A tiny amount that I was able to separate before was placed in a small glass with water and turned a wonderful yellow color, which has now darkened. So, the oil itself could prove quite interesting. I'm wondering if this is the quintessence, or something very close to it. Either way, watching this thing evolve reminds me of several alchemical procedures. I know some will disagree, as nothing has been placed in a still much less gone over the head, but the elegance of the system and all of the strange happenings seem quite magical when viewed from a chemical perspective. Perhaps I should elaborate:
    -The solution stratifies into distinct layers, despite only plain water being the main portion of the liquid, i.e. it's all water soluble, but the waters have separated themselves like oil and water, forming a pretty clean cut between sections.
    -The earth from the fire, need I say more?
    -The fact that I've added a lot a base (CaOH) to a pretty neutral solution and it remains pH 7 according to my test paper.
    -The CaOH doesn't render as a salt on reduction. The salt might be with the precipitate, but in that case what is in the liquid? An acid-base reaction should make a salt and water. Not flocculant and deeper color.
    -The resulting jellyball is insoluble in ethanol, which I've never seen in other organic mixtures. Like, totally insoluble. It's as if the alcohol isn't even there. To me this is most curious from any plant decoction, unless the alcoholic fraction was purposely removed ahead of time.

If nothing else, this will probably make a wonderful green dye with the addition of a mordant.

Anyway, looks like the pic uploaded this time. This is a picture of the concentrated solution at this part of the process with a light behind it (It's much too dark to capture on camera without a back light), and to the right is the same solution with the leftover precipitate, watered down. It was much lighter at the time but the camera didn't capture it well. If you look carefully you can see two layers over the sediment line.

Wow! That left jar has such pretty colors and the layers of separation are interesting. Is the layer in the center of the jar clear or lighter in color? What are the qualities of a quintessence? Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Nothing to speak of on the big Q. I haven't tried the oil except to lick so remainder from my fingertip, and noticed nothing exciting. No taste to speak of, but will dabble more as I continue to collect the oil. It may be a quintessence, but more is hidden in this method and more study needs to be done, which I'm doing, but it will take some time.

Without the back-light, it all looks black. This is I think because of the density that comes with using a tar. Upon adding the solvent, a mass of precipitate forms that takes around 24 hours to settle out. The solutions are identical in the pic, but one has been watered down. The important part to me is the dark green upper layer, as with continued addition of solvent it will eat the rest and the whole solution will transform to this color, with more of the dry oil being produced on the surface.
    however,
    The addition of acetic acid (and I suppose any acid) clarifies the mixture to appear as a tea, with no further sediment produced. This is most interesting to me, but I still thing the green is the magic sauce. The oil if collected could prove useful as well though, as it's equally curious.

Blog Entries
    Something new has emerged!!

First off, the experimentation with this spagyric path has led to some curiosities that will take months, possibly years, to dissect. I think my jelly ball did indeed react with alcohol, but not in the way I expected. I think it drank up the alcohol and mutated again. It's lost the stickiness after drying. Perhaps also something was transferred to the alcohol, but because it was colorless, it went unnoticed. But that's not the strangest thing.

I have one mixture where the green solution didn't dominate. It changed into a dry oil floating atop the orange solution. You can see the cracks in the following pic:

Amazing in it's own right, but the most amazing of all is the thing growing beneath it...

I'm bringing this to light, as I believe I'm on the verge of discovering something of importance with spagyrics, specifically in the vegetable kingdom. Magic seems to be happening in every glass, and for the moment I'm convinced that I've found a crude and vulgar version of the true Mercury. I plan on making some more, this time taking careful note of the measure and proportions of my secret sauce, and I plan on doing further experiments with metals once I have the mixture right.

The structure above isn't rigid, but it will waggle when the glass is disturbed, yet it retains its shape. It reminds me of humunculi experiments, but also of creation stories where a land mass parts the seas after rising from the depths. Rather than collect the dry oil, I'm curious to see how far this goes, and I'm going to leave the glass undisturbed while I continue to experiment on the green solution.

Woah, growing stuff looks fun. The cracks on the surface look like molten lava and that thing growing looks amazing. Curious what it could be, it has an interesting shape. Thanks for sharing your experiments.

+ Reply to Thread