Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Uncle Scrooge and the Red Carbuncle

Uncle Scrooge and the Red Carbuncle

I tried making the red carbuncle today with sol mirabilis, mercury (not vulgar), and carbon.

1. Fired up the kiln at 900C and put 6:2:1 ratio of sol mirabilis, carbon, and mercury. Kept it in for 1 hour. When taken out and cooled, the inside material was black. After pulverizing, it was homogenously dark ash/black. The outside of the crucible turned spotty green and looked like a dinosaur egg.

2. Put in kiln at 950C @ 8:0.25:1 ratio. After 30 minutes, took out and cooled. It was a homogenous vitrine mass of purple (it did not glow in the dark, I checked). I thought it was a colloidal suspension so I decided to heat it for 30 minutes more thinking it will turn red. After cooling, I think the the carbuncle reverted back to it's metallic state by the golden egg yolk type of blob in the middle (pics below). I've yet to crush this mass and take a better look at the inside. The same crucible was used as for the first attempt, and the green spotty marks (possible from the green lion) turned black.

Attached Images
    Last edited by Andro; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:06 PM. Reason: Insert images in post.

Melting stuff is fun. Red carbuncle sounds pretty. What do you think those white salts are? What kind of kiln do you use? Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Melting stuff is fun. Red carbuncle sounds pretty. What do you think those white salts are? What kind of kiln do you use? Thanks for sharing.
    The pictures are from the second attempt. Upon pulverizing the matter, it turns out the mercury didn't melt, it was whole. Apparently not enough carbon was added. The first attempt however upon pulverizing, all the mercury did dissolve. The salt in the pictures is sal mirabilis, at least that's how it started, not sure if it underwent a change, haven't tested.

To the material of the first attempt, I added 96% ethanol. The next day, the alcohol did have a red tinge. This gives me hope. I can see how it works now. I now know the real Prima Materia of the Universe, it is the most common thing in the whole Universe.

I use one of those vertical electric kilns, when you take the graphite crucible out, there's enough space inside to insert small crucibles up to 50ml in volume. I use that kiln for cupellation as well. It has accurate temperature control (digital thermostat).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Scrooge View Post
    I now know the real Prima Materia of the Universe, it is the most common thing in the whole Universe.
    Hydrogen? Dark Matter? Human stupidity? Or do you have something else in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    Hydrogen? Dark Matter? Human stupidity? Or do you have something else in mind?
    All very good guesses and one correct guess. It is also the first element in the Periodic Table.

Hydrogen, Hydro gen, Hydro (water), gen (generator), Generator of Water
    Gen (genesis), Creator of Water

Blog Entries

Logistical Note

Uncle Scrooge (and everyone else reading this), there are two main very simple ways to insert your images directly into your posts.

1. If you upload the image as an attachment here on Alchemy Forums, click on the attachment link to open its web page, then right click on the image and select "Copy image location" or "Copy image URL". Then, go back to your post and insert (paste) the URL of the image between [IMG] and [/IMG] brackets. Voila! Your images are now showing in the post!

2. Host your images externally (there are good free sites like imgur.com), get the direct image link/URL from there (make sure the image URL ends with jpg/png/gif/etc.) and insert it between the aforementioned [IMG] and [/IMG] brackets. For more info, see: Posting Images & Videos.

Blog Entries
    All very good guesses and one correct guess. It is also the first element in the Periodic Table.

Hydrogen, Hydro gen, Hydro (water), gen (generator), Generator of Water
    Gen (genesis), Creator of Water
    But is it also how you capture it? Aka water, hydroxide, acid (free protons). It's funny, as I've been looking more and more to the solvent being hydroxide. Mix my solvent with your prima materia and we get... bum bum bum... WATER!

There are many ways to the Stone. When you do capture this "Hydrogen" though, it will be a green solution. That first try above, the outside of the crucible turned green, because this "Hydrogen" or hydrogen compound got trapped in the vitrine glaze of the crucible (not in the pics, in the pics the green turned black during the second attempt).

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon's Tail View Post
    But is it also how you capture it? Aka water, hydroxide, acid (free protons). It's funny, as I've been looking more and more to the solvent being hydroxide. Mix my solvent with your prima materia and we get... bum bum bum... WATER!
    I just checked the reaction equation and it does indeed produce water. I hope it's a green water or a color of eminence. There's so many ways to use this, I still need to wrap my mind around it how to put it best to use, aka the most environmentally friendly way.

edit: Found something, the picture below, looks Amazing to me. Thank you Dragon's Tail! Anything you need, a brand new Dreamliner, a Super Yacht, let me know.

Last edited by Uncle Scrooge; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    Found something, the picture below, looks Amazing to me. Thank you Dragon's Tail! Anything you need, a brand new Dreamliner, a Super Yacht, let me know.
    Could use a pickup truck. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, just reliable and 4-wheel drive :P

+ Reply to Thread