Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sternbach View Post
Well, I strongly urge the researcher of ancient natural philosophy not to exclusively rely on online sources. There will be so much they are missing out on!
Don't get me wrong. I'm a book lover. I grew up with books. And there are certain things I need to have in hard copy. I am not great at reading long form from screens. I've had several failed attempts to load up a tablet and spend time reading from it. I do better with handwriting notes. When I got started I actually had nothing left but my completely exoteric books at the time. I worked strictly from hard copy books, and had a couple of milk crates of notebooks of notes by the time I was done. And I collected books that I could find, but I only had basic sources. I stole "Secret Teachings of All Ages" from the library. I had some Golden Dawn/Llewllyn books that were carried by mainstream book stores. I was always looking for authentic jewish kabbalah but had access to none. I had access to the university library, and they happened to have the Zohar, but it was only in Hebrew. I did manage to find Eco's Foucault's Pendulum there, for the first time. I went St. Paul's University (theological) library looking for books. I went to the National Archives to check out this kabbalah/judaica collection (Lowy) I had heard about. I "found" books by Levi and Scholem but that's a story on it's own.

And then sometime in the early 2000s, Ebay came of age. I remember randomly finding a vellum manuscript..of a hermetic work by Pico della Mirandola (not pico's manuscript), notable for the fact it contained a foreword by Giordano Bruno. I was relatively well employed at the time and I was willing to spend up to a paycheck for it. It was sitting around $200 with a week left, and I didn't know about "sniping" at the time. So I put my maximum bid in and was pretty confident, and excited. In the end it went for many times what I was willing to pay for it, but it rung a bell. I figured I had been willing to spend that much money, I should see what else is on Ebay. And that became a problem. I have books from Ebay I have no real interest in. I have an old two volume printing of Blatvaskys Isis Unveiled. And old copy of Heindel's Rosicrucian Cosmo-Conception... I can't think of them all right now, but theres a couple dozen like that. I collected some hebrew books I'll probably never be able to read (but a nice modern-ish Sefer Raziel). But I started finding good sources there.. Kaplan's translation of the Bahir, books by Francke, Scholem, and a bunch of kabbalah titles by the Bergs from before the "Kabbalah Center".

At some point I had to stop collecting unread books. They were a major headache when moving, which I did fairly frequently when I was younger. I made a conscious decision to down-size my physical collection, and packed up most of my non-esoteric books. I still have the problem though. More recently I got a copy of Karl Frick's "Die Erleuchteten". I'll never be able to read it.. but I'll "sacrifice" it to the scanner.. unbind it, make a quality scan and OCR of it, and try machine translating the most interesting looking sections.

So that's the first part of the "digital age".. So many of these books i've collected were printed in the 70s and earlier, way before I was ever looking for them.. And yet with the resources I had, I could never find them. As far as research goes, that's the internet in a nutshell. We are the first people to have so much at our fingertips. The way it used to work is that you would check local resources, libraries, university. If they didn't have something, they may be able to get it on inter-library loan. And then you'd wait for it to be delivered. Or you'd travel to libraries/universities to gain access to certain material. And this was all based on credentials, and funding.

Nowadays everything is online. Even the interlibrary loans are largely digital. There are academic services that i don't have access to, Research Gate, Proquest that keep certain things behind login secured servers, but that's largely copyrighted material. There are exponentially more books out of print than there are in print, and even normal public libraries only contain a small fraction of them. But they are all online.

My personal library of digital books is better than any library out there. I have tens of thousands of books, most of which I will never read. But i've done my best to make sure they are all OCR'd (text-searchable) and indexed.. And my own harddrive is my #1 resource for my researches. I search there before I ever go to google. I have books that don't seem to be indexed by the internet bots (so they never come up on searches)

So, I think it's actually the opposite, it's very limiting to be dependent on sources that can be can be held in physical form. My digital collection is of limited use to me as far as reading books cover-to-cover goes, but for researching and cross referencing it's invaluable. There's nothing like it. (I hope you don't trust the "Index" in books)

Trust me, there is nothing like having all eight tomes of Thorndike's monumental work standing on your book shelf in physical form.
I have a couple of things like that.. my fathers "History of Civilization" series by Will Durant, and my great-grandfather's (scottish mason) Robert Brown collection.

However, it goes without saying that some online resources are potentially valuable indeed - such as the one you have linked here.
See I was "fuzzy" on Cusanus. I mentioned not being sure if I had collected any of his books.. He didn't exactly publish any books. I don't know if any of that work by Jasper Hopkins contains diagrams I've been hearding about. But I also collect digitized manuscripts. It turns out I have one, "Ettenheim-Münster 32 (14th-15th Century)", that contains, in part " N. de Cusa. About quadrant construction". So I've probably already extracted some without even knowing it.

I had taken these notes from reading Yates:

"Of the others in the genealogy, Albertus Magnus he certainly thought of as a Magus. Cusanus, whom he greatly admired, had used a type of geometrical symbolism in his teaching which Bruno probably thought was Hermetic. The famous saying that God is 'a sphere of which the centre is everywhere and the circumference nowhere' is, in fact, first found in a pseudo-Hermetic treatise of the twelfth century,2 and was transferred by Cusanus to the universe,3 as a reflection of God, in a manner which is Hermetic in spirit. This concept was basic for Bruno, for whom the innumerable worlds are all divine centres of the unbounded universe."
I do understand your dilemma. Perhaps it will help to bear in mind that the term "gibberish" (no "r" there!)
Gerber knives, Gerber baby food. There's a main street where I live, "Greber". Thats a problem too. If we just referred to his as Jabir I'd be fine. If I start typing my name as Gerb I'll seek help.

I was referring to the Rosarium or Rosarius that was published 1504 as part of Arnald's Works, and not to the Rosarium Philosophorum which first appeared in print in 1550, albeit Joachim Telle
I found that among Jung's digitized library . The cover is what I used when I posted an english translation (Waite's?) https://atrightanglestoreality.blogs...lish-full.html

stated that the latter was based on an earlier - and quite different - manuscript version that doesn't seem to have come down to us in its original form. Anyway, I consider the occasional attribution of the Rosarium Philosophorum to Arnald as nothing more than the result of yet another confusion that persists to this very day.
There's where I'm at.. I believe the former is sometimes referred to as the "little" rosary of Arnald. That's the one I still haven't found. I went through that research trying to understand all the references being made in a different text. I read the old thread here in the forums and was no clearer when I was done.

Perhaps you can be some help here. There is a name for the type of texts I was looking into.. Like the Turba, where the author basically makes a "topic statement", and the rest is excerpts for different older sources. It's not a "dialogue".

For (bad) example:

(Author) Mercury is blah blah blah balh

Arnaldus sayeth: mercury blah blahb

Lull sayeth: mercury blah blah

It states in the Rosarium: mercury blah blah blah

... And thats the structure of the whole text. Sometimes quoting a specific text, others "putting words" in the mouths of center authors in a more general way. I actually found this word while researching the Arnald/Rosarium/Little Rosary subject. I'm pretty sure it was in a footnote, and I can't remember it, and I haven't been able to find it again. It's a weird, technical word. Its SOMETHING LIKE "Philosegic". It's definitely not that, and it might not even like that, but that's how I remember it. It's been bugging me since February.