Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Alchemical & Magickal Symbolism in Religious/Spiritual Traditions & Ancient Alphabets

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Marcus
    I hadn't come across the heraldry/crutch information. Didn't you tell me Saturn/Vulcan is always lame/on crutches?
    Lame yes, but not always on crutches:

Vulcan's mother Juno (father was Jupiter) tossed him off the Mountain Olympus because he was so ugly. When he hit the sea it destroyed his leg for good.

The whole story is too long to quote here, but many authors of alchemical texts use it in their allegories. Of special interest is the "ménage à trois" with Venus and Mars (see the image of the first key out of 12 by Basilius Valentinus).

The connection with Saturn imo is because of the scythe. As a symbol of putrefaction the lame saturn could represent a putrefaction by means of a mild (lame) heat.

Speaking of the Tarot: I always wondered why the scythe crosses the foot (it looks the same on Le Mat) so often (see like above and so below):

To stay on topic of our latest discussion in this thread, it would be appropriate to interpret it as an "X".

And speaking about hebrew, if you look closely, on this version one can read the hebrew Tetragrammaton letters on the back of this guy's head.

And to also be able to stay on the topic of the original thread, the Tetragrammaton was often used in images of the Gold- und Rosenkreuzer (like the author of the Compass of the Wise was),

often at a position where it was interchangeable with the word "Aesch Majim" that can be seen on the image of the Compass of the Wise:

Vulcanus is a god on his own but got mixed with the greek Hephaistos.

Of course Saturn also is a god on his own.

There used to be both Saturnalia and Vulcanalia festivals in ancient rome.
    Last edited by Florius Frammel; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    @Zoas23

I'd agree for the (useful) method of historical criticism. Symbols imo are also useful to have "timeless" fun with. If it fits, it fits. No matter the historical accuracy.
    I agree. Even though Tarot as we know it may not go back further than the 14th century, the symbolism it employs is of much older origin. As a matter of fact, the use of the latter across times and cultures shows a consistency difficult to explain in terms of orthodox history.

For just one example out of many, I always found it remarkable to see Akhenaton (the pharaoh who introduced an essentially monotheistic Sun religion to Egypt) depicted with a Sun disk emitting nineteen rays in this famous relievo:

In light of the fact that 19 is the number that belongs to the Trump card The Sun in the Tarot!

Quote Originally Posted by Kibric View Post
    I think your getting at is the nature of the universe is not so solid. you might be walking around in thought.
    You can create your universe consciously. Manifestation of events and moments, a control over your story.
    Showing you the universe is more mind than matter. Through Words which are spells of intent and will, images and music that create dimensions within the mind.
    More like a dream this life than you previously thought, when you manifest in the universe your experiencing.
    This all connects to the phantom universe man inhabits and the science behind its holographic nature.
    The djinn state, the allies, shamanism and Aborigines, have systems of influence and manifestation over the universe. A forgotten science.
    Is that in the ball park ?
    While I have little doubt regarding the real existence of the external, physical world, I do think of it as embedded in a much bigger, multi-dimensional reality. As such, it is indeed a projection of Mind, in both universal and individual terms.

It is therefore logical that magic (magick) aims at effecting change in the outer world via the practitioner's mind. Whatever images, scents, gems and so forth may be employed in magical operations - their sole purpose is to condition the mind towards the achievement of certain goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sternbach
    It is therefore logical that magic (magick) aims at effecting change in the outer world via the practitioner's mind. Whatever images, scents, gems and so forth may be employed in magical operations - their sole purpose is to condition the mind towards the achievement of certain goals.
    This practice isn't reserved for magic(k) only though. These kinds of mental practices are very common especially in sports, business and team training, psychological and psychiatric counseling and therapy. Most people do that every day to some extend. It's just not called magic.

Especially children do so naturally. They have imaginary friends and teddy bears to whom they talk with and use amulets that give them "power" to get through special and often hard situations.

This practice isn't reserved for magic(k) only though. These kinds of mental practices are very common especially in sports, business and team training, psychological and psychiatric counseling and therapy. Most people do that every day to some extend. It's just not called magic.

Especially children do so naturally. They have imaginary friends and teddy bears to whom they talk with and use amulets that give them "power" to get through special and often hard situations.
    You are quite right, of course.

But all the examples you gave are themselves forms of magic(k) being applied.

And yes, more often than not, they are not called such.

Your post reminded me... I just learned that the team that was conducting NASA's New Horizons mission to Pluto was constantly tending to a talisman teddy bear, putting him to bed when the space craft went into hibernation, and standing him up and putting a party hat on his head every time the space craft awoke. And I thought, what a nice example for sympathetic magic - by a cutting-edge representative of modern science and technology!
    Last edited by Michael Sternbach; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:58 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibric View Post
    I think your getting at is the nature of the universe is not so solid. you might be walking around in thought.
    You can create your universe consciously. Manifestation of events and moments, a control over your story.
    Showing you the universe is more mind than matter. Through Words which are spells of intent and will, images and music that create dimensions within the mind.
    More like a dream this life than you previously thought, when you manifest in the universe your experiencing.
    This all connects to the phantom universe man inhabits and the science behind its holographic nature.
    The djinn state, the allies, shamanism and Aborigines, have systems of influence and manifestation over the universe. A forgotten science.
    Is that in the ball park ?
    I think you're hitting the nail on the head, in part. I think "Soul" and "Mind" are the same thing. We were made MENTALLY in the image of the Creator, and that spark of his essence in us is that part of the mind that differentiates us from the animals. We have modern terminology to discuss mind and consciousness, but its no better than the older ways.. it still "grasps" to describe the sublime/intangible.

The only thing I would disagree with is the jump straight to "Dream time" like states as the only or end goal. There are levels to it, levels of consciousness or different mind states. The idea of "left" and "right" brain, and uniting the two for "unity consciousness" is one allegory, even if the common conception of left and rigth brain functions is not literally true. I've seen brainwave frequencies related to different states of mind/consciousness. This is usually connected to binaural tone brainwave tuning. Our brain is indeed split in half, and these halves communicate through the corpus callosum. Certain activities/practises are known to increase this communication between hemispheres. People trained as musicians, for example, exhibit this. I think speculative geometry also does.

There's an interesting theory that was put forth by Julian Jaynes named "Bicameralism" in his book "The Origin of Consciousness and the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind".

"a hypothesis in psychology that argues that the human mind once operated in a state in which cognitive functions were divided between one part of the brain which appears to be "speaking", and a second part which listens and obeys — a bicameral mind."

Jaynes further argues that divination, prayer, and oracles arose during this breakdown period, in an attempt to summon instructions from the "gods" whose voices could no longer be heard.[3] The consultation of special bicamerally operative individuals, or of divination by casting lots and so forth, was a response to this loss, a transitional era depicted, for example, in the book of 1 Samuel. It was also evidenced in children who could communicate with the gods, but as their neurology was set by language and society they gradually lost that ability. Those who continued prophesying, being bicameral according to Jaynes, could be killed.[6][7] Leftovers of the bicameral mind today, according to Jaynes, include mental illnesses such as schizophrenia and the hallucinations present in patients with split brain syndrome."
    - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_(psychology)
    I think most people think of our evolution from non-conscious animals to conscious human beings was something that happened "back then", and is not a current, ongoing process. Certainly not everyone is equally "conscious". I'm of the opinion that the gap between the least conscious of us and the most conscious is great enough that they could be considered different species. (not really but..)

I mentioned Ramon Lull and Giordano Bruno.. and they are mostly known for the "Art of Memory", but I think this term is misunderstood. The classical Greek Ars Memoria texts that some of their works are based on really is about memorizing information.. setting up "Memory Theatres" or Palaces, the loci, etc etc.. but it goes far beyond that, and should be more properly understood as "Art of the Mind", because that is what it is. In some sources, Memory is basically synonymous with Mind anyways. I know there was a metaphysical philosophy that basically said that learning was really a process of remembering what was already known.. connected to some of your comments above.

The other part of their practises is considered "Ars Combinatoria", the science or art of combining/combination. Roughly, this is about taking symbols/concepts/ideas, with all of each's levels of interpretation, and comparing and contrasting them with each other, to understand them each more fully, and to come up with new ideas. There are many forms of this art.. The first I ran across is more or less described in the Sefer Yetsirah, where throughout the text there are different correspondences given for each hebrew letter, and a description is given of laying out these letters twice, in two "rings", and rotating them for the 231 "gates", or unique combinations of the 22 letters.

The form of the Art i don't think so much matters - it's a mental/mind exercise. It combines logical thought and consideration of the abstract principles that could connect ideas/concepts in ways that are not immediately apparent. It warms up the brain and increases the "flexibility" of the mind. It probably increases communication through the corpus callosum, imo.

This is a blurb I found sometime ago, that I quote again and again. For awhile I had lost track of it's source.. So here's a disclaimer.. Its from some group called the "Sons of Light". I don't have anything to do with them..since I found it again I've looked around more at their site and don't really care about much else they say.. and the quote isn't even in the context of what I'm talking about, but it 100% applies. When I read it I was stunned at how succinctly it describes "it":

''But such gifts of the mind as trained by the methods of the Mysteries are not to be had just for the asking, nor will all who come to the gate pass through to attain the high levels they hope for. We have become too used to the idea that what we want, we are entitled to have. Unfortunately this is not the way it happens. Some minds are peculiarly adapted to working in such ways, but it is a talent like music, singing, being able to paint or write or sew. It requires certain gifts, an ability to imagine things visually so well that the everyday world seems strangely unreal when you return to it. A lucid and adaptable memory that can supply information rapidly, concisely and cross index items with ease and correctness. A mind that is encyclopaedic in its ability to store information of all kinds, with insatiable curiosity. Total dedication to the study, sometimes to the exclusion of all else. A certain dramatic flair for ritual, a love of silence and loneliness for what it can offer to the still mind.''
    You touch upon the "unreality of reality". While I am not unfamiliar with the Eastern versions of this concept, it is also echoed in Plato's Theory of Forms. I always kind of mix together Pythagorean/Platonic/and Gnostic versions when trying to discuss this.. but roughly that everything that exists, there was the abstract concept or idea of that thing first. I can't decide if it's most properly called Idea/Archetype or Form. So before there's any duality, any "two" anything, anything besides unity, there has to be the Idea of "two-ness". These Ideas are "primodial", existing before any Creation. In some versions these "Ideas" occupy their own realm/dimension. Regardless, they are considered more "real" than any "Creation" based on them.

For the Pythagoreans, the generation of number series was related to objects of geometry as well as cosmogony.[4] According to Diogenes Laërtius, from the monad evolved the dyad; from it numbers; from numbers, points; then lines, two-dimensional entities, three-dimensional entities, bodies, culminating in the four elements earth, water, fire and air, from which the rest of our world is built up.
    I can display many different images of the "brain" from medieval sources, labeling differnet chambers with "reason", "memory", "imagination", etc. What I'm talking about is not really the dreamtime of aborigines, or the annihilation of Nirvanna, or any extreme like that, but what we know call things like "Active Imagination" and "Active Intellect". To the Sufi, this imaginal realm is called Alam Al-Mithal:

"The imaginal realm is known in Islamic philosophy as alam al-mithal, the imaginal world. According to Avicenna, the imagination mediated between, and thus unified, human reason and divine being. This mediating quality manifested in two directions: on the one hand, reason, rising above itself, could attain to the level of active imagination, an activity shared with the lower hierarchies of the divine realm. On the other hand, in order to manifest the concrete forms of the world, divinity created a range of intermediate beings, the angelic co-creators of the universe.[1]:11 According to philosophers of this tradition, the trained imagination can access a 'nonspatial fabric' which mediates between the empirical/sensory and the cognititional/spiritual realms."
    Henry Corbin would seem to be the authority on this. This is what Bruno is referring to when he says "This art does not simply confer an art of memory, but also opens many faculties of invention." It should be understood that imagination does not mean "fantasy". There's a programming term, "Garbage in, Garbage out", and it applies here. Regardless of the source.. Greek, Islamic, Hebrew.. there were prerequisites to pursuing these arts. Educational prerequisites to train the mind in other ways... In Europe it took the form of the Quadrivium and Trivium. This was the basis of developing a "mature mind", disspelling the superstitious beliefs of the ignorant masses and providing the discernment to judge between what is real/true/possible and what is unreal/false/not possible. A modern form of this type of "imagination" are the thought experiments common among theoretical physicists (string theory, quantum mechanics) where no emperical experimentation is possible.

In the Sufi version, one of the preparations is Jihad Al-Nafs, the conquest/conquering of "one's self". This is part of the cleansing/purification before exploring these realms.

I know the Merkaba mysticism/Kabbalah version best. One of my favorites is Abraham Abulafia:

And begin to combine letters, a few with many, and turn and revolve them speedily until your heart is warmed by their revolutions. And put your heart in their movement and what their revolution engenders.

And when you feel in yourself that your heart has been warmed very much by the combinations and you understand from them new matters that you did not grasp from human transmission and did not know them from yourself by intellectual effort, then you are ready to receive the abundance (Shefa).

And the abundance flows onto you and arouses you to many things one after the other. Prepare your true thought to depict the Name, may his Name be blessed, and his superior angels; depict them in your heart as if they were people, standing or sitting around you and you amongst them like an emissary that the King and his servants want to deploy and he is ready to hear from one of them the pronouncement of the matter of his mission, if from the King or from one of his servants.

And after you have depicted all of this prepare your mind and heart to understand in your thought the many things that will come to you from within the letters computed in your heart, and study all of them or their parts like a person who is told a parable, a riddle or a dream, or as one perusing a topic in a book of wisdom deeper than he can comprehend.

And solve the matter that you will hear to the best solution and as close as you can get to it.

And judge yourself according to what you will understand from it, and do the same with the other matters in all that they will tell you.'
    This is something stunning I found a couple of years ago. Everytime I go deep and "activate", I go on and on about Metatron and Pi. It seems to be part of my process:

He [Abulafia] drew a clear parallel between "the science of combination" and music, which too could conduct the soul to a state of the highest rapture by the combination of sounds. The techniques of "prophetic Kabbalah" that were used to aid the ascent of the soul, such as breathing exercises, the repetition of Divine Names, and meditations on colors, bear a marked resemblance to those of both Indian Yoga and Muslim Sufism. The subject sees flashes of light and feels as though he were divinely "anointed." In certain stages he lives through a personal identification with an inner spiritual mentor or guru who is revealed to him and who is really Metatron, the prince of God's countenance, or in some cases, the subject's own true self. The climactic stage of this spiritual education is the power of prophecy."

The mystic confronts the Active Intellect in the shape of Metatron, a human figure that is formed in the imagination of the visionary. In the epiphanic moment, the boundary between inside and outside disintegrates—the self mirrors the angelic guide that mirrors the self, a double mirroring prompted by the prior individuation of the universal through the universalization of the individual. Moreover, insofar as the Active Intellect is identifed as the Torah, we can speak of a linguistic embodiment, the configuration of the Tetragrammaton, which encompasses all twenty-two letters of the Hebrew alphabet, in the form of an anthropos. !e body of which I speak is imaginal rather than material, that is, a theophanic apparition that assumes shape as virtually real within the imaginative faculty. Kabbalistically, the imaginal body intimates the conception of semiotic en.eshment. It is precisely this notion that justi"es thinking of incarnational tendencies in the Jewish mystical sources that are distinct from—albeit in dialogue with—the predominant Christian creed. I hasten to add that the precise period when kabbalah begins to emerge as a de"ned historical phenomenon is one in which there is much theoretical deliberation about the mystery of incarnation, inspired by the growing scholastic sentiment regarding the indivisibility of faith and reason.
    - Elliot R. Wolfson - Textual Flesh, Incarnation, and the Imaginal Body-Abraham Abulafia's Polemic with Christiani
    I think this, and the "conquering of one's self" in the meaning behind this hidden or distributed message I like to think I discovered in the Book of Revelations (which is an example of Merkaba literature).. the "new name" being the inner spiritual mentor/higher self mentioned above. The "Throne" is the goal of merkaba mystics, the pyramid texts.. I could probalby think of others:

Let the one who has an ear hear what the spirit says to the congregations:

To him that conquers I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is the paradise of god. He will by no means be harmed by the second death. I will give him a white pebble, and upon the the pebble a new name written which no one knows except the one receiving it. And to him that conquers and observes my deeds down to the end I will give authority over the nations, and he shall shepherd the people with an iron rod so that they will be broken to pieces like clay vessels, the same as I received from my Father, and I will give him the MORNING STAR. He that conquers will thus be arrayed in white outer garments and I will by no means blot out his name in the book of life but I will make acknowledgement of his name before my father and his angels. I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God and he will by no means go out anymore, and I will write upon him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem which descends from my god, and tht new name of mine. To the one that conquers I will grant to sit with me on my throne even as I conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne.
    Here's an early attempt of mine to get into some of this when I was very green and raw, and to be honest my head probably wasn't fully put back together, written in the mid-to-late 90s.:

https://atrightanglestoreality.blogs...spiration.html
    https://atrightanglestoreality.blogs...e-of-mind.html

These people I talk about, Abraham Abufalia, Giordano Bruno, Ramon Lull.. my interest in them goes back to pretty early in my own studies, but for close to 20 years all I had were some random blurbs about them, a few quotes, a few diagrams. I just knew something was there. Then as the internet matured I was able to gather a lot of their works, but I couldn't read them.. i just used them to gather complete sets of the diagrams from them. My Abulafia collection has gotten much better, but I still don't have many translations of Bruno and Lull. I thought I at least had a pretty complete list of their works...

I am pretty much inactive during the months of better weather as there are too many distractions to keep my head into the work for any period of time, but I still do some searches and save some things I find here and there. In the last couple of days I realized I had squirreled way some content from LullianArts. In it is a translation of a Lullian work I had never heard of, a critical translation from 7 different manuscripts, called Geometria Nova. And this is the first thing I came across:

"In the first part of this book, we describe the usefulness of this science as follows. It is clear to the wise that science begins in the sensitive and imaginative powers where the human intellect receives species which are likenesses of sense objects, and then makes these species intelligible in its essence, and by reason of this intelligibility, the intellect attains the natural secrets of corporeal substances, and as the intellect cannot do this without help from the imagination, this science also nurtures the imagination in imagining imaginary mensurations based on sense data.

And so this science is good for strengthening the imagination's imagining and the intellect's understanding, and likewise with memory, for when the imagination has a more virtuous disposition in imagining, the memory also has a more virtuous disposition in retaining the species transmitted to it by the intellect and acquired through the imagination.

Through the master figure, this science provides a doctrine for penetrating the quadrangulature and triangulature of the circle, and a doctrine for the other figures as well. Thus, the imagination develops its virtue inasmuch as it attains new species in the equality of circular and straight lines and their surfaces, following the doctrine given in the first book. And by multiplying species attained by the imagination through diverse investigative methods, the intellect and memory acquire much material that enables them to reach a greater understanding of corporeal substances and accidents.

For instance, we extend the line of the circle to consider it as a straight line, and likewise, in the minor square, we extend a 5th line measured in the master figure by the intellect with the imagination, taking this 5th line along with the 4 other lines to produce the middle square of the master figure, as we proved in the second figure where the circle is squared, and likewise with the 6th mathematical line of the pentagon in third figure, and so with the other figures used in this science to imagine mensurations that are not, and cannot be sensed. Through this, the imagination has a loftier and more virtuous act than with lines and figures that can be sensed.

For instance, the 5th line of the square potentially exists in the circle of the master figure, and is more useful to imagine than the 4 lines of the minor square in the master figure. This kind of imagining raises the imagination aloft and helps the intellect and memory to better attain imaginable objects which cannot be imagined in reality, but which can be understood and loved spiritually, like God, angels as well as prime general and abstract principles like general goodness and other such things, following the comments given in the first book on each particular figure and things deduced from them.

And this science is useful, as we said, and as it is understandable per se, it is very dear to those who desire to know it and who desire to have an intellect that understands well and a memory that remembers well."

I'm not very satisfied with my reply here but it will have to suffice for now.

Blog Entries
    Lame yes, but not always on crutches:
    Vulcan's mother Juno (father was Jupiter) tossed him off the Mountain Olympus because he was so ugly. When he hit the sea it destroyed his leg for good.
    The whole story is too long to quote here, but many authors of alchemical texts use it in their allegories. Of special interest is the "ménage à trois" with Venus and Mars (see the image of the first key out of 12 by Basilius Valentinus).
    The connection with Saturn imo is because of the scythe. As a symbol of putrefaction the lame saturn could represent a putrefaction by means of a mild (lame) heat.
    Speaking of the Tarot: I always wondered why the scythe crosses the foot (it looks the same on Le Mat) so often (see like above and so below):
    To stay on topic of our latest discussion in this thread, it would be appropriate to interpret it as an "X".
    First, I hope you didn't miss the multiple references to the centrum/supreme center in my previous reply, in terms of the "All in All", center of centers you and Andro refer to earlieri in the thread..

Thats filling in some Greek mythology for me.. I was really only aware of Juno researching that Aenids manuscript with all those drawings.

And you're right, it definitely does look like an X device.

'Chi (Greek: χῖ) is the 22nd letter of the Greek alphabet. In the system of Greek numerals, it has a value of 600.

In Plato's Timaeus, it is explained that the two bands that form the soul of the world cross each other like the letter Χ.

The world soul (Greek: ψυχὴ κόσμου, Latin: anima mundi) is, according to several systems of thought, an intrinsic connection between all living things on the planet, which relates to our world in much the same way as the soul is connected to the human body. The idea originated with Plato and was an important component of most Neoplatonic systems'
    And speaking about hebrew, if you look closely, on this version one can read the hebrew Tetragrammaton letters on the back of this guy's head.

And to also be able to stay on the topic of the original thread, the Tetragrammaton was often used in images of the Gold- und Rosenkreuzer (like the author of the Compass of the Wise was),
    Wow.. I've never noticed the cover of that book before. Was your intent to prove our idea of the contemplation of these geometric devices?

I think I know the inspiration.. My avatar is a cropping of very hi-res version of a famous image from Khunrath's "Amphitheatrvm sapientiae aeternae":

Here he is, on his knees. You can see the tetragrammaton on the book, which I believe is representing scripture/theology, with two geometric devices in front him. One, seems to be the pentagram, and the other, circle-square-triangle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sternbach View Post
    For just one example out of many, I always found it remarkable to see Akhenaton (the pharaoh who introduced an essentially monotheistic Sun religion to Egypt) depicted with a Sun disk emitting nineteen rays in this famous relievo:

I'm going to have to interrupt you for a second.. I can't believe you posted this. This is directly related to the masonic image I posted, and some of the material I mentioned about Isis/Ra etc. I brought up that Isis' symbol was the Rose, and that the name Isis means throne. So Horus on her knee is "sitting on the throne".

Specifically, this is Akhenaton and Nefertiti stylized as Osiris and Isis, with one of their children representing Horus on her knee. Their union represents the divine union of "male" and "female". The "son" is in the central column.

This is the same thing. I posted it immediately following mention of the "Eye of Ra" on purpose:

The Hebrews weren't really the Hebrews until they left Egypt, taking with them whatever they had absorbed over generations there. Its safe to assume that early jewish mysticism leading to Kabbalah were influenced by the Egyptian versions. I've come to realize that eygptian metaphysics really is proto-Kabbalah. One of the things I find interesting in your image of Akhenaton is the hands at the end of the sun rays. I've collected a few more images like it. People date the Exodus from anywhere between the bronze age collapse to 8-9th century BC. People figure Ezekiel was born around 622BC. In the Book of Ezekiel, we find him still mentioning the "hand"

Ezekiel 37:1 The hand of the LORD was upon me, and he brought me out by the Spirit of the LORD
    What's translated as "Spirit" here is the Rua(c)h ha-Kodesh.. the Holy Spirit to Christians.

On the masonic diploma, the configuration of 7 stars represents Microprosopus to the Hermeticist, or Zeir Anpin in Lurianic Kabbalah - the lesser/little countenance/face. Lurianic Kabbalah concerns itself with 6 "partzufim". Zeir Anpin is the "micro" to the "macro" of Arik Anpin (Macroprosopus to the Hermeticists). Arik Anpin is known as the "long" or "bearded" face. In comparison to the older system of traditional Kabbalah, Zeir Anpin is centered around the Sefirot of "Tiferet", and Arik Anpin is often associated with the sefirot of Keter. Keter is said to split between Arik Anpin and "Atik Yomin", the "Ancient of Days". But in another sense Arik, or Arik+Atik correspond to the "totality" of the tree of life.

In another thread, briefly mentioned Atum/Shu/Issauset, etc:

It especially reminds me of Egypt. Add to that the multiple roles of Nuwa (wife, sister) also sounds very egyptian with their Husband/Father/Son and Wife/Mother/Daughter multiple (often confusing) roles. This is echoed, I believe, in some of the Kabbalistic symbolism of Keter/Tiferet and Binah/Shekhinah(Malkut).

The "misty vapor" sounds like a combination of two Egyptian dieties: Shu (Egyptian for "emptiness" and "he who rises up"). Shu is Air: Fog and clouds were also Shu's elements and they were often called his bones. Because of his position between the sky and earth, he was also known as the wind; and his sister, Tefnut" Literally translating as "That Water",[2] the name Tefnut has been linked to the verb 'tfn' meaning 'to spit'[3] and versions of the creation myth say that Ra (or Atum) spat her out and her name was written as a mouth spitting in late texts.

These were the first dieties, the children of Iusaaset, "the great one who comes forth", described as the grandmother of all deities". She was associated with the acacia tree, considered the "Tree of Life" to the egyptians. And Atum:
    I didn't mention the Kabbalah concepts of Ein Sof and Ayin, but they beg comparison to these egyptian ideas. In Lurianic Kabbalah, the partner of Zeir Anpin in the divine union is Nukva:

Nukvah-"Female" of Zeir Anpin, Daughter, Malkuth reign in Feminine Shekhinah, born from Zeir Anpin on "left", man reunites
    There are two versions of the divine union represented on the tree of life. (like the egyptian, that has multiple pairings). The first is between Hokmah and Binah, Wisdom and Understanding. In Lurianic Kabbalah, Hokmah and Binah become the partzufim of Abba (father) and Ima (mother). Binah "completes" the realm of the "supernals". Sometimes these supernals are grouped together and considered the "Godhead"/Above, and sometimes that is reserved for Keter and above. She "gives birth" to the lower seven Sefirot. (like Iusaaset, the "grandmother of deities [powers]).

The partner of Tiferet is Shekhinah. Tiferet's name means "beauty", and is also known as the Holy One, Blessed be He, Son, King, and others. In the Bahir, it says of Tiferet: 'All the divine powers of the Holy One, blessed be He, rest one upon the other, and are like a tree.'

Shekhinah is also known as "Malkut", meaning "World", "Kingdom", and as such represents the physical creation, the below. The hebrew word for Shekhinah "denotes the dwelling or settling of the [feminine aspect of] divine presence of God.

Zeir Anpin, the emotional sephirot centred on Tiferet (Beauty), is the transcendent revelation of God to Creation ("The Holy One Blessed Be He"), a perceptible manifestation of the essential Divine infinity (the Tetragrammaton name of God). Nukvah ("Female" of Zeir Anpin) is the indwelling immanent Shekhinah (Feminine Divine Presence) within Creation, the concealed Divine finitude (the name Elokim).
    The union of Shekhinah and Tiferet constitutes the focus of religious life. Human righteous action stimulates Yesod, the righteous one, and brings about the union of the divine couple.'
    The experience of Yesod is the "vision of the machinery of the universe", which I see as the greek concept of "Kosmos".

This is the "Marriage in Heaven" from Revelations, between the "Groom" and "Bride".

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sternbach View Post
    Exactly.

Hi Greg

I am totally with you regarding the significance of Lull and Bruno. They both played a pivotal role in the history of natural philosophy. Furthermore, I would highlight the role of Nicholas of Cusa as the link between those two.

Talking about alchemy, there is a reason why it was once widely known as 'the Lullian art'. It is of little consequence if the works attributed to the Catalanian philosopher wete actually authored by him or by someone intimately familiar with his writings. Their influence on the later practitioners can hardly be overestimated.

For me too, they are of central importance in my pursuit of the Opus Magnum - second to none.

Blog Entries
    Bicameralism seems a lot like the Egyptian then Tibetan book of the dead. Could explain a lot about the beliefs origins.

but as their neurology was set by language and society they gradually lost that ability
    This also fits with civilizations being seen as a deception in spiritual sects, an old Dravidian teaching from an Aryan conquest trying to establishing their civilization upon the indigenous tribes. It was the conquest and forced reeducation of other people that probably contributed to losing the ability, gradually has a cause somewhere. Seeing as tribal society was superstitious, and to conquer the people you must rid them of their superstitions first. Mental conditioning and propaganda ?.

a love of silence and loneliness for what it can offer to the still mind.''
    The shining mind in Taoism mentioned by White belt in his thread parallels a lot with "Active Imagination" and "Active Intellect".

In Europe it took the form of the Quadrivium and Trivium. This was the basis of developing a "mature mind", disspelling the superstitious beliefs of the ignorant masses and providing the discernment to judge between what is real/true/possible and what is unreal/false/not possible. A modern form of this type of "imagination" are the thought experiments common among theoretical physicists (string theory, quantum mechanics) where no emperical experimentation is possible.
    I'm not well versed in all the language and sources as you. I know it as the art of daydreaming.
    I would argue that we wouldn't have theoretical physics or any invention without illogical superstitious fiction generated by our own boredom.
    The dissection of illogical superstitious fiction is an exercise in finding truth in our own generated fiction or others, and All our fiction starts with some truth that we play mentally with. Its not long before mankind makes what he daydreams.

+ Reply to Thread