Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Kitchen Alchemy - Sourdough

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    There is actually a recipe on how to make an Alkahest out of bread in the the GuRC book "Das Geheimnis aller Geheimnisse ex Macrocosmo et Microcosmo", a book sometimes also called "Secret Ecstacy" and published under the name of Frederico Gualdi.

https://books.google.de/books?id=dWM...mnisse&f=false
    is the translation in RAMS?

when you want to have yeast, you actually let the sourdough mature at a higher temperature (about 28-32 Celsius, 82-90 F, as far as I know). I didn't want to have too much yeast, but more the lactic acid bacteria, so I am working at lower temperature and let the dough take it's time.

@Schmuldvich, yeah, tell us about your yeast/sourdough when you try this!

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    There is actually a recipe on how to make an Alkahest out of bread in the the GuRC book "Das Geheimnis aller Geheimnisse ex Macrocosmo et Microcosmo", a book sometimes also called "Secret Ecstacy" and published under the name of Frederico Gualdi.

https://books.google.de/books?id=dWM...mnisse&f=false
    So finally someone did mention this!!!

Here, is where sourdough enters in alchemy. Great point. Also quite of a Christian path... Using sourdough and fermenting winestone...

For the rest, i see the analogy of sourdough, which well enters in multiplication process when adding it to the raw material...

Quote Originally Posted by Schmuldvich
    More importantly in my opinion, what is our Ferment, and what can we grok from Uambra's example above with the sourdough?
    What is our Ferment Schmuldvich?

"But here I call a Ferment a Stone already complete in its Elements in comparison with the Metals; Even as the Ferment of Dough overcomes the Dough, converting it into itself, so also this Stone converts Metals into itself, just as Dough is changed and converted by its Ferment"
    -Alexander von Suchten, An Explanation of the Natural Philosophers Tincture

"My Sons, Understand that the Agent Substance in the Entire World is this One Thing--Heat. Without Heat there is no Movement or Action."
    -Alphidius

"For as Dough without a Ferment cannot be Fermented so when you Sublime the Body and Purify it, separating the Uncleanness from it, you will then conjoin and mix them together, and put in the Ferment confecting the Earth and Water. Then will the Ixir Ferment even as Dough does Ferment. Think of this and see how the Ferment in this case does change the former Natures to another Thing. Observe also, that there is no Ferment otherwise than from the Dough itself."
    -The Golden Tractate of Hermes

Nice, thank you, Seraphim.

"But here I call a Ferment a Stone already complete in its Elements ..."

I like this part when it comes to sourdough. When you mix water and flour, it is water and earth. Then the warmth (fire) helps to activate the sourdough which produces bubbles (air), acid and the transformed dough.

In Ayurveda you would consider acid as a combination of fire and water. Does someone know more about how it is understood in western Alchemy (concerning the elements)?

So, what _is_ actually a Ferment for metals?

Thank you for sharing Uambra . Sorry I am a newb, maybe someone with more experience can help answer your questions. Found these references and they felt relevant but I don't understand the proper meaning.

All pure and impure metallic bodies are Mercury, because they are generated from the same.

Metals are no thing but Mercury digested by different degrees of heat.

Again, a passage in the Turba Philosophorum runs thus: "It is certain that every subject derives from that into which it can be resolved. All metals may be resolved into quicksilver, hence they were once quicksilver."

Quicksilver is cold and humid, and of it, or with it, God had created all metals. It is aerial, and becomes volatile by the action of fire, but when it has withstood the fire a little time, it accomplishes great marvels, and is itself only a living spirit of unexampled potency. It enters and penetrates all bodies, passes through them, and is their ferment. It is then the White and the Red Elixir and is an everlasting water, the water of life, the Virgin's milk, the spring, and that Alum of which whosoever drinks cannot die, etc. It is the wanton serpent that conceives of its own seed, and brings forth on the same day. With its poison it destroys all things. It is volatile, but the wise make it to abide the fire, and then it transmutes as it has been transmuted, and tinges as it has been tinged, and coagulates as it has been coagulated. Therefore is the generation of quicksilver to be preferred before all minerals; it is found in all ores, and has its sign with all. Quicksilver is that which saves metals from combustion, and renders them fusible. It is the Red Tincture which enters into the most intimate union with metals, because it is of their own nature, mingles with them indissolubly in all their smallest parts, and, being homogeneous, naturally adheres to them. Mercury receives all homogeneous substances, but rejects all that is heterogeneous, because it delights in its own nature, but recoils from whatsoever is strange. How foolish, then, to spoil and destroy that which Nature made the seed of all metallic virtue by elaborate chemical operations!

The "Rosary" bids us be particularly careful, lest in purifying the quicksilver we dissipate its virtue, and impair its active force. A grain of wheat, or any other seed, will not grow if its generative virtue be destroyed by excessive external heat. Therefore, purify your quicksilver by distillation over a gentle fire.

Says the Sage of Trevisa: "If the quicksilver be robbed of its due metallic proportion, how can other substances of the same metallic genus be generated from it? It is a mistake to suppose that you can work miracles with a clear limpid water extracted from quicksilver. Even if we could get such a water, it would not be of use, either as to form or proportion, nor could it restore or build up a perfect metallic species. For as soon as the quicksilver is changed from its first nature, it is rendered unfit for our operation, since it loses its spermatic and metallic quality. I do, indeed, approve of impure and gross Mercury being sublimed and purified once or twice with simple salt, according to the proper method of the Sages, so long as the fluxibility or radical humour of such Mercury remains unimpaired, that is to say, so long as its specific mercurial nature is not destroyed, and so long as its outward appearance does not become that of a dry powder."
    Source
    Last edited by Seraphim; 1 Week Ago at 02:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread