Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hard as a Rock

Hard as a Rock

I made the carbuncle with the new furnace, and I can't open it until it cools down otherwise it cracks.
    So by the time I took out the melting dish, the carbuncle inside was as hard as a rock. I tried drilling it thinking it will come out easy but no, after 30mins of drilling I barely got half a gram out, although it was a nice cinnabar color this time around.

Any ideas on how to take out the carbuncle and pulverize it?

"Heaven is the first element.
    ― Hermes Trismegistus, Corpus Hermeticum: The Divine Pymander
    unclescrooge@secmail.pro
    PGP Key: https://pastebin.com/AEfuk8KJ

Hey,

You can try heat it until it gets like sort of a gum-consistence, and see if you can scrape it off with a spoon. It happened to mee too, usually salty stuff cooling inside earthen crucibles makes this work, by doing so i managed to save the crucible and clean it perfectly, so i'd give it a try.

Otherwise melting it again, and placing the crucible inside a bigger crucible, which you filled with sand and heated as weel; this could give you a way to extract the molten content probably. But this is just an idea just happened...

Hope to have been helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Argento Vivo View Post
    Hey,

You can try heat it until it gets like sort of a gum-consistence, and see if you can scrape it off with a spoon. It happened to mee too, usually salty stuff cooling inside earthen crucibles makes this work, by doing so i managed to save the crucible and clean it perfectly, so i'd give it a try.

Otherwise melting it again, and placing the crucible inside a bigger crucible, which you filled with sand and heated as weel; this could give you a way to extract the molten content probably. But this is just an idea just happened...

Hope to have been helpful
    I didn't realize the new electric furnace can't be opened until it cools down otherwise the insulation could crack. The old open top electric furnace already malfunctioned because of this and had to dispose of it. Which type of furnace do you use for this? Or do you use a blow torch?

I suppose an open top gas furnace would be better.
    unclescrooge@secmail.pro

Sorry for misunderstanding, i assumed that your crucibles were cracking, not the insulation... Sorry again, only gas homemade oven, i have no experience at all with electric.

Maybe at a "low" temp it will not crack, but i dont want you to risk. Instead, you could use a rustic furnace to heat that up at whatever degrees, just enough to soften the mass; furnace made by a blowtorch and a small refractory bricks (i dont know english term to this, i hope it's right) chamber, even without cementing them, just to obtain a good enough temp... With a method like this and a portable welding torch i melted tartar with no problems to a bright oiley state... so 900 celsius.. this portable welder torch here it's really cheap! For such works it's a great buy.

(whats the insulation made of?)

The insulation looks like it's made of refractory brick/material. The furnace cost $2000 but it's only useful and convenient if you want to keep an accurate and stable temperature for a prolonged period of time. I will now make my own furnace like you described with the refractory bricks and use the portable welder torch. This is very useful and cheap to make.

Thank you for the suggestion, this is what I was looking for!
    Last edited by Uncle Scrooge; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:52 PM.
    unclescrooge@secmail.pro

May i ask you what way are you working on?

Thanks for sharing Uncle Scrooge. When the Sages speak of a Gentle Fire, Equall Heat, Horse-Dung, Crucible, Athanor, Secret Oven/Furnace, etc. What do you think they mean?
    Last edited by Seraphim; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Argento Vivo View Post
    May i ask you what way are you working on?
    It's the dry way.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Thanks for sharing Uncle Scrooge. When the Sages speak of a Gentle Fire, Equall Heat, Horse-Dung, Crucible, Athanor, Secret Oven/Furnace, etc. What do you think they mean?
    They mean the secret fire not vulgar fire. You can make the stone with the secret fire with the Wet way (no vulgar fire).
    This post deals with the dry way using the secret fire and vulgar fire (high heat), it's faster.
    Last edited by Uncle Scrooge; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:22 PM.
    unclescrooge@secmail.pro

Thanks Uncle Scrooge, going to have to read more about the wet and dry way. How did you make the carbuncle?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Scrooge View Post
    You can make the stone with the secret fire with the Wet way (no vulgar fire).
    May I ask you what is the secret fire to you?

+ Reply to Thread