Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Colours of the Great Work

Colours of the Great Work

I think this subject was never discussed on this forum or at least i couldn't find it anywhere! The subject deals with the progression of colors in the Great work observed in matter through the looking glass in our vessel caused by increasing the external heat in both the Wet and Dry Paths. So the intensity of heat and colours of matter are closely interlinked with each other and let's suppose that our prime matter is iron as Fulcanelli assured us in his two books of wisdom.

Now Iron in contact with Air could oxidize and rust so we need to protect it by sealing our vessel with the seal of Hermes or broken beer bottle in our case. The broken glass will melt over the surface of hot iron and form the protective layer called Vitriol ("oil of glass") through which we will observe the color of our matter like through the looking glass one could say.

So the first colour of the great work should be Black which is connected with death, coldness, moisture or maybe just cold iron. So to start the Great Work we slowly start heating the cold iron and the first thing we will see it's the peacock in many different colours. Wheat colour, blue colour etc.

By increasing and decreasing the fire iron would be able to go through all the colors of the Great Work alone without adding or subtracting anything from it in only one vessel. One matter, One Vessel, One Fire... or something like that.

My question for you guys are the colors of the Great Work only the units of temperature? Remember in those days they didn't have standardized units for heat like Fahrenheit or Celsius... What do you think?
    Formerly known as True Puffer

What color takes the molten glass after the boiling?

It depends if the glass was previously colored or not and also if the ore contained impurities.

Blog Entries
    In the "normal" heating progression, doesn't white come after red? (i.e. red heat -> white heat)

The order of colors is in reverse here or maybe you are supposed to go from cold Black all the way to White hot first and then gradually decreasing the fire to Red. The Logic behind it all i think it has something to do with Curie temperature and different states of Magnetic susceptibility. At 4 different temperatures iron can change it's nature to Ferromagnetic, paramagnetic, ferrimagnetic and antiferromagnetic.

Magnetism isn't much discussed in alchemical circles but it was definitely mentioned by old alchemist like Michael Maier.

Blog Entries
    First off, I like the technique of melting glass over the iron to encapsulate it!

As far as alchemical colors go, ever since reading Philosophia Maturata I’ve had the idea in my head that Green should be incorporated into the color scheme at some point. Green being the living, growing things; the Green Lion is popular.

Anyways, the Spiritus Mundi thread has some discussions of magnets, if I remember correctly.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Blog Entries
    The colours of in the work are specific to the prima materia. Lots of substances can resemble the colour progression.
    The right colour progression only applies to the Hyle ( golden ) and its preparation.
    You have to start with oil. Hyle.

The animated spirit dissolves the body,
    The body coagulates the spirit.
    This is the sole Mercury,
    Which is the Foundation of the Stone of the Wise.
    It becomes black, white, green and red,

Is itself Proteus, the God of the sea,
    Who, being caught, so wondrously
    Transforms himself into a thousand shapes;
    That is, it dissolves and coagulates itself,
    Sublimates and calcines,
    Mortifies and vivifies,
    Washes and incerates,
    Clarifies and fixes.
    In all these things
    Heaven and earth are concerned,
    And the Sun and Moon
    Become dark and black as a raven:
    Heaven and earth are melted quite away:
    Truly, in the Hyle or Chaos
    There is most wonderful strife
    Of the elements in all directions.
    Water covers all the earth,
    But in order that the moist may become dry,
    Our strong giants maintain ( the red adamic earth
    Incessant and unwearying contests
    With our wondrously small dwarf, ( Hyle )
    Who, finally, by divine miracle,
    Conquers and overcomes
    And captures them all, both slays and binds.
    Out of the destroyed rubbish
    God creates a new Heaven and Earth.
    The New Jerusalem is built
    With transparent clear gold, ( Hyle becomes golden )
    Also with pure precious stone.
    Here is placed the famed Stone of the Wise,
    The unique bird, the good Phoenix,
    Who by the glow of the fire
    Is slain and born again, ( colours )
    And becomes a real Salamander,
    Who now lives in the fire.
    http://www.levity.com/alchemy/vers-fig.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    First off, I like the technique of melting glass over the iron to encapsulate it!

As far as alchemical colors go, ever since reading Philosophia Maturata I’ve had the idea in my head that Green should be incorporated into the color scheme at some point. Green being the living, growing things; the Green Lion is popular.

Anyways, the Spiritus Mundi thread has some discussions of magnets, if I remember correctly.
    Yes, Green should come after the Black. In the Dry Path it is caused by impurities born out of the foam or slag from the surface in contact with regulus below which with further manipulation can be made into a Green Lion according to Fulcanelli and the french old school boyz.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibric View Post
    The colours of in the work are specific to the prima materia. Lots of substances can resemble the colour progression.
    The right colour progression only applies to the Hyle ( golden ) and its preparation.
    You have to start with oil. Hyle.
    Do you think the first matter is in form of an oil?
    Last edited by True Initiate; 07-08-2020 at 02:45 AM.

Blog Entries
    Do you think the first matter is in form of an oil?
    The prima materia, first matter is generated from the right adamic earth. You can't find it without 1st treating the adamic earth properly.
    Its the union between the earth and its own clear oil/hyle that creates golden Hyle, mercury, the first matter.
    " nursed by the earth " is clear oil/hyle tinged by the earth.
    Its drawn out and combined with the adamic earth it came from.

The union colours the clear oil/hyle, golden.
    Then separated by itself, its colouring to black comes from the golden oil/hyle fixing into gumm, the gumm fixing into stone. ( black stage ) beginning.
    " boil the golden fruit "

There's lots backing this up from the texts themselves.
    I'm not trying to dissuade you just that's the theory and practice that is written about.

There is definitely alchemical value in iron, the iron pyrite process adam mclean and a royal society paper on iron in alchemy i think.

The color changes most commonly refered to in the classical works takes place in the afterwork after the alkahest or SM fluid(philosophic mercury) is obtained and added to gold. You will observe :
    SM robs gold color from gold immedietly upon placement of a liquid , I mean it draws the color out!! And leaves it silver, metallic silver. Then more clear liquid works on it as converted silver and robs the silver color, this is best expressed as a siphoning off of the color or more precisely that the ph. mercury takes the metallic solar sulphur first then the lunar metallic sulfur, now what follows as logically plausible since its physical substance or underpinning is lost, is that the metal becomes a clear gel! This is the first steps of the Reincrudation of gold!! And not at all chemical but happens gently and without efferesscne or endo or exo thermic heating. And it happens all within moments of its application.
    Within days the gold will turn green. Then in weeks the black. And remains there for some time, then passes to the white and then the red.

Do not confuse these classical color progression with the colors you see in the pre work as in working with different matters to achieve an alkahest or SM fluid or salt(the dry way) in which you will see as many colors as under the sun and means nothing as far as a spiritual progression, save to say that of blackness before a spiritual sublimation to get a white salt..this is where the image of the eagle comes from...brown body with white head. Other than those your colors are mere patinas of oxidiation, sub-divisions of ionic molecules or suspensions and various precipitates of chemical metallic salts .
    Peace and LVX

Frater L.R.

+ Reply to Thread