Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ens methods

Blog Entries
    Do not ingest liquids with fermented wood in them. Very decent chance that you have a high level of methanol in there (assuming the purpose of fermentation was to make alcohol) methanol is an optic nerve poison that dissolved the back of your eyeball and can make you go blind, giving the true meaning to the saying "blind drunk"
    Secondly, as long as you arnt putting anything weird in your ens (such as wood or lead) and if you have checked that the pH is roughly neutral, you should be all clear to ingest your ens (again, assuming that you used all edible ingredients in the first place)
    Good bye most of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post
    Do not ingest liquids with fermented wood in them. Very decent chance that you have a high level of methanol in there (assuming the purpose of fermentation was to make alcohol) methanol is an optic nerve poison that dissolved the back of your eyeball and can make you go blind, giving the true meaning to the saying "blind drunk"
    Secondly, as long as you arnt putting anything weird in your ens (such as wood or lead) and if you have checked that the pH is roughly neutral, you should be all clear to ingest your ens (again, assuming that you used all edible ingredients in the first place)
    Off-topic from ENS
    In my case, the purpose of fermentation was to make a type of vinegar. That is why I was checking the Ph to see if got down to 3.5 which tells me the tincture is acidic and was done to see about Botulism which doesn't live in an acidic substance. A brine of 2% salt and water would not create alcohol but it can create a type of vinegar/acidic/fixed spirit rather than a volatile/alcoholic spirit.

You are correct that you don't want to consume methanol.

Blog Entries
    Did you use a vinegar mother? Please do NOT assume that you were making vinegar unless you specifically used a vinegar mother to produce it.

If you were relying simply on any kind of bacteria to do the job, you could easily be mistaken, and have another type of bacteria that is producing any assortment of poisonous by-products.

If you want vinegar, you specifically need to add vinegar.mother and do to the trouble.of making sure that other bacterial do not get I side the fermentation.
    Good bye most of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post
    Did you use a vinegar mother? Please do NOT assume that you were making vinegar unless you specifically used a vinegar mother to produce it.

If you were relying simply on any kind of bacteria to do the job, you could easily be mistaken, and have another type of bacteria that is producing any assortment of poisonous by-products.

If you want vinegar, you specifically need to add vinegar.mother and do to the trouble.of making sure that other bacterial do not get I side the fermentation.
    I was referring to Lactic Acid Fermentation which is different than vinegar. Both produce acids but they are different types. As I said, the ingredients were salt, water and cedar which definitely would not make alcohol or acetic acid vinegar but would do a lactic acid fermentation.

This is the same process as kimchi, sauerkraut, etc but applied to herbs.

Golden Chain mentions using saltwater(ie brine) on plants too which is why I mentioned this when measuring Ph was mentioned.

+ Reply to Thread