Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Sweetness

The Sweetness

Hey AF,

So after reading a little bit, noticed that not many mention "The Sweetness". Please share your thoughts or any quotes.

"For, you must know, that every thing in its first Matter is corrupt and bitter,
    which corruption and bitterness is called dying poison,
    which is the cause of Life in all things, as will be sufficiently manifest,
    if you with right reason do weigh the Natures of things.

Consider well, O Son, that when Lucifer the Angel of Pride, first rebelled against God,
    and prevaricated the Command of the most High, be assured that this was made corrupt,
    bitter, and harsh to him: No less was the fall and prevarication of our first
    Parents Adam and Eve, whom death and condemnation followed, made to them
    corruption and bitterness, and likewise to us in whom the same corruption is
    propagated. Many more like examples I could recite, if need were: But setting
    aside these, to come to what is proper to our discourse; consider well, that of
    all precious Fruits which grow out of the Earth, their first Matter is bitter and
    harsh, as still retaining some footstep of the former corruption and putrefaction;
    which bitterness, by the means of continual action of natural heat, is with great
    virtue turned into sweetness. Now therefor, Son, if thou wilt be ingenious,
    this little will suffice whereby to find out much more, and to perceive my meaning:
    Consider therefore well, Son, that according to the old Proverb,

He sweet deserves not, who no bitter tasts."

- A Treatise of Mercury by Sir George Ripley
    Last edited by Seraphim; 02-14-2021 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Hey AF,

So after reading a little bit, noticed that not many mention "The Sweetness". Please share your thoughts or any quotes.

"For, you must know, that every thing in its first Matter is corrupt and bitter,
    which corruption and bitterness is called dying poison,
    which is the cause of Life in all things, as will be sufficiently manifest,
    if you with right reason do weigh the Natures of things.

Consider well, O Son, that when Lucifer the Angel of Pride, first rebelled against God,
    and prevaricated the Command of the most High, be assured that this was made corrupt,
    bitter, and harsh to him: No less was the fall and prevarication of our first
    Parents Adam and Eve, whom death and condemnation followed, made to them
    corruption and bitterness, and likewise to us in whom the same corruption is
    propagated. Many more like examples I could recite, if need were: But setting
    aside these, to come to what is proper to our discourse; consider well, that of
    all precious Fruits which grow out of the Earth, their first Matter is bitter and
    harsh, as still retaining some footstep of the former corruption and putrefaction;
    which bitterness, by the means of continual action of natural heat, is with great
    virtue turned into sweetness. Now therefor, Son, if thou wilt be ingenious,
    this little will suffice whereby to find out much more, and to perceive my meaning:
    Consider therefore well, Son, that according to the old Proverb,

He sweet deserves not, who no bitter tasts."

- A Treatise of Mercury by Sir George Ripley
    Oh yes Seraphim

This Sweetness is what every aspiring Alchemist is in search of.

This is from an old journal called "Parachemy". It includes an interview with Frater Albertus and a report on bee pollen.

"Mercury
    The Universal Spirit permeates all of the Earth. Mercury is this Spirit, the vitalness of One Life, which like a pure river of water, clear as crystal, flows from One Source and enters into all things.

Various descriptive characteristics are attributed to this Mercury according to individual viewpoints. But just as each thing is found to have its own particular savor so is this Mercury distinguished by a savor that is unequalled in the conscious experience. It is known by a special sweetness, a sweetness like unto honey.

It matters not where man and woman find themselves upon earth, for this sweetness of Life is to be found and known everywhere. Man and woman choose their own experience of Life. When what is chosen is in accord with selfish and narrowminded pursuits, what is sweet is experienced as being bitter; and at the same time there is a craving for more and more of it - of that power, which, when it comes, only too often fills such ones with a greater bitterness.

The sweetness of Mercury is tasted of in that which is known to be Good. In this Good the sweetness of Life is savored. No longer are there cravings, for there is known the fulfillment of a sweet peace. Throughout all kingdoms the sweetness of Mercury is and can be experienced.

It is man and woman who cause, through ignorance and lack of understanding, a bitterness to be attached to the pureness and sweetness of Life. As there comes a sincere and humble receptiveness to know and to understand Good, there comes experiences of It, for as each is ready so is there given to each to know the sweetness of a Good Life.

With each breath the sweetness of Life is given to us to experience. If we know it not, then we alone are responsible for the experience that is contrary to it, for we have in our own particular way set ourselves apart from it. In doing so we experience a bitterness.

When we humble ourselves and childlike eagerly and trustingly ask to know that Life which is Good, Its sweetness reveals Itself."

-Parachemy Volume VII: Number 2 Spring 1979

Blog Entries
    "He sweet deserves not, who no bitter tastes."

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Oh yes Seraphim

This Sweetness is what every aspiring Alchemist is in search of.
    Thank you for sharing Black.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Sister View Post
    This is from an old journal called "Parachemy". It includes an interview with Frater Albertus and a report on bee pollen.

"Mercury
    The Universal Spirit permeates all of the Earth. Mercury is this Spirit, the vitalness of One Life, which like a pure river of water, clear as crystal, flows from One Source and enters into all things.

Various descriptive characteristics are attributed to this Mercury according to individual viewpoints. But just as each thing is found to have its own particular savor so is this Mercury distinguished by a savor that is unequalled in the conscious experience. It is known by a special sweetness, a sweetness like unto honey.

It matters not where man and woman find themselves upon earth, for this sweetness of Life is to be found and known everywhere. Man and woman choose their own experience of Life. When what is chosen is in accord with selfish and narrowminded pursuits, what is sweet is experienced as being bitter; and at the same time there is a craving for more and more of it - of that power, which, when it comes, only too often fills such ones with a greater bitterness.

The sweetness of Mercury is tasted of in that which is known to be Good. In this Good the sweetness of Life is savored. No longer are there cravings, for there is known the fulfillment of a sweet peace. Throughout all kingdoms the sweetness of Mercury is and can be experienced.

It is man and woman who cause, through ignorance and lack of understanding, a bitterness to be attached to the pureness and sweetness of Life. As there comes a sincere and humble receptiveness to know and to understand Good, there comes experiences of It, for as each is ready so is there given to each to know the sweetness of a Good Life.

With each breath the sweetness of Life is given to us to experience. If we know it not, then we alone are responsible for the experience that is contrary to it, for we have in our own particular way set ourselves apart from it. In doing so we experience a bitterness.

When we humble ourselves and childlike eagerly and trustingly ask to know that Life which is Good, Its sweetness reveals Itself."

-Parachemy Volume VII: Number 2 Spring 1979
    Thank you Sol Sister for sharing. Was also wondering what it might taste like.

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post

Andro lol , thank you for sharing. Have some more questions but they may sound too foolish.
    Last edited by Seraphim; 02-17-2021 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post

Now that's Anarchism for you!

Thank you Sol Sister for sharing. Was also wondering what it might taste like.
    I have not done the practical lab work to have experienced this flavor from a substance that I transformed, however I do feel resonance with the experience that is being described: Love.

Never in my life have I experienced a sweetness on my lips that surpasses the kiss of a beloved. In addition, my previous bitter tasting experiences a make the good experiences so much sweeter.

The experiences of falling in love, falling out of love, getting back up and trying again, being away from your beloved, and becoming inspired to be a better person through love also seem to fit the descriptions given in the quotes above nicely.

Thank you for sharing Sol Sister . What your sharing reminds me of this.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8
    "Love endures long and is patient and kind; love never is envious nor boils over with jealousy, is not boastful or vainglorious, does not display itself haughtily.

It is not conceited (arrogant and inflated with pride); it is not rude (unmannerly) and does not act unbecomingly. Love (Godís love in us) does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking; it is not touchy or fretful or resentful; it takes no account of the evil done to it [it pays no attention to a suffered wrong].

It does not rejoice at injustice and unrighteousness, but rejoices when right and truth prevail.

Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and it endures everything [without weakening].

Love never fails [never fades out or becomes obsolete or comes to an end]. As for prophecy (the gift of interpreting the divine will and purpose), it will be fulfilled and pass away; as for tongues, they will be destroyed and cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away [it will lose its value and be superseded by truth]."

Thank you for sharing Sol Sister . What your sharing reminds me of this.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8
    "Love endures long and is patient and kind; love never is envious nor boils over with jealousy, is not boastful or vainglorious, does not display itself haughtily.

It is not conceited (arrogant and inflated with pride); it is not rude (unmannerly) and does not act unbecomingly. Love (Godís love in us) does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking; it is not touchy or fretful or resentful; it takes no account of the evil done to it [it pays no attention to a suffered wrong].

It does not rejoice at injustice and unrighteousness, but rejoices when right and truth prevail.

Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and it endures everything [without weakening].

Love never fails [never fades out or becomes obsolete or comes to an end]. As for prophecy (the gift of interpreting the divine will and purpose), it will be fulfilled and pass away; as for tongues, they will be destroyed and cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away [it will lose its value and be superseded by truth]."
    Here is another quote from the bible referencing sweetness. It is Sampson's riddle:

"Out of the eater, something to eat;
    out of the strong, something sweet."

Thank you for sharing . Have not read that before. Here is a reference to a lion and honey from the riddle you shared. Maybe this honey is "The Sweetness"? What is stronger than a lion?

Judges 14:18
    The men of the city said to him on the seventh day before the sun went down,

“What is sweeter than honey?
    What is stronger than a lion?”

And he said to them,

“If you had not plowed with my heifer,
    you would not have found out my riddle.”
    Last edited by Seraphim; 03-01-2021 at 02:30 AM.

+ Reply to Thread