Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Sweetness

Blog Entries
    Through Love all that is bitter will be sweet,
    Through Love all that is copper will be gold,
    Through Love all dregs will become wine,
    through Love all pain will turn to medicine.
    -Rumi
    I find it interesting that Love in the quote above is a force of transmutation.

When I think of it chemically, a bitter alkaloid in a plant tastes the way it does on account of its structure. Same with “sweet” and “sour” phytochemicals in plants.

I imagine if you apply enough heat in order to destroy the chemical bonds which create the “bitter” flavor, you could use the byproducts to produce a sweetness.

Practically, I’ve smelled and tasted some works which, after the first distillation, taste of soot and smoke, unpleasant. But three or four rectifications later, they started becoming more sweet in flavor.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Thank you for sharing Kiorionis

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Thank you for sharing . Have not read that before. Here is a reference to a lion and honey from the riddle you shared. Maybe this honey is "The Sweetness"? What is stronger than a lion?
    Hmmm, what would correlate to the lion in the riddle if the sweetness is love?

Could it possibly be the conscious self? The unconscious mind is a very strong force that influences how we act, especially when we are on "auto pilot". However, when you are falling in love, you are intensely aware of your actions towards and experiences and with the other person. Love often moves us to accomplish feats that would otherwise seem impossible and overcome personal limitations that were put in place by our subconscious.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    Through Love all that is bitter will be sweet,
    Through Love all that is copper will be gold,
    Through Love all dregs will become wine,
    through Love all pain will turn to medicine.
    -Rumi

I find it interesting that Love in the quote above is a force of transmutation.

When I think of it chemically, a bitter alkaloid in a plant tastes the way it does on account of its structure. Same with “sweet” and “sour” phytochemicals in plants.

I imagine if you apply enough heat in order to destroy the chemical bonds which create the “bitter” flavor, you could use the byproducts to produce a sweetness.

Practically, I’ve smelled and tasted some works which, after the first distillation, taste of soot and smoke, unpleasant. But three or four rectifications later, they started becoming more sweet in flavor.
    That is a great quote! Also thank you for sharing your practical experience. It is interesting to hear that with rectification, sweetness can come from a work that smelled burnt.
    Last edited by Sol Sister; 03-04-2021 at 12:49 PM.

If I could time travel, Alan Watts would be a person that I'd love to have a conversation with. Here is an excerpt from a lecture about love called "Divine Madness" that Alan Watts gave:

"This morning I’m going to talk to you about a particularly virulent and dangerous form of divine madness which is called falling in love. Which is, from a practical point of view, one of the most insane things you can do, or that can happen to you. Because in the eyes of a given woman or a given man, an opposite who go to the eyes of everybody else a perfectly plain and ordinary person can appear to be God or Goddess incarnate, to be such a and enchantment that one can say in the words of an old song which probably dates me every little breeze seems to whisper Louise. And this is an extraordinary disruptive experience a subversive experience in the conduct of human affairs. Because you never know when it will strike off for what reason...

...Well as I’ve often said I’m not a preacher and therefore I don’t know what you should do. But I would like to make some reflections on this particular form of madness, and to raise again a very disturbing question. And this disturbing question is as follows: Is it only when you are in love with another person that you see them as they really are? And in the ordinary way, when you are not in love with people you see only a fragmented version of that being. Because when you are in love with someone you do indeed see them as a divine being. And suppose that’s what they are truly. And your eyes have by your beloved been opened in which case your beloved is serving to you as a kind of guru. An initiator. And that is why there is a form of sexual yoga, based on the idea that man and woman are to each other as mutual guru and student. And through a tremendous outpouring of psychic energy in total devotion and worship to this other person who is respectively the goddess of the god. You realize by total fusion and contact with the other organism. You go down to the divine center in them and it bounces back and you discover your own or you could put it in this way which is another aspect of it that by falling in love and regarding falling in love not just as a sort of sexual infatuation, because it’s always more than that, isn’t it."

-Alan Watts
    I don't know anything about the yoga he speaks of, but the concept of seeing the Divine in another through love rings as clear as a bell to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Sister View Post
    Hmmm, what would correlate to the lion in the riddle if the sweetness is love?

Could it possibly be the conscious self? The unconscious mind is a very strong force that influences how we act, especially when we are on "auto pilot". However, when you are falling in love, you are intensely aware of your actions towards and experiences and with the other person. Love often moves us to accomplish feats that would otherwise seem impossible and overcome personal limitations that were put in place by our subconscious.
    Thank you for sharing Sol Sister . The lion is a strong eater?

Does anyone feel this is relevant?

Revelation 10:9
    "So I went unto the Angel, and said to him, Give me the little book. And he said unto me, Take it, and eat it up, and it shall make thy belly bitter, but it shall be in thy mouth as sweet as honey."
    Last edited by Seraphim; 03-05-2021 at 05:29 AM.

Also noticed that the "little book" is referenced as a "little scroll" (Leaf/Sheet of paper?) in some translations:

Revelation 10:9
    I went up to the Angel who stood on the sea and the land and told him to give me the little scroll. Then he said to me, “Take it, and eat it. It will be sour in your stomach but sweet as honey in your mouth.”

Revelation 10:8-11
    The voice out of Heaven spoke to me again: “Go, take the book held open in the hand of the Angel astride sea and earth.” I went up to the Angel and said, “Give me the little book.” He said, “Take it, then eat it. It will taste sweet like honey, but turn sour in your stomach.” I took the little book from the Angel’s hand and it was sweet honey in my mouth, but when I swallowed, my stomach curdled. Then I was told, “You must go back and prophesy again over many peoples and nations and languages and kings.”

Matthew 4:1-4
    “Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. After fasting forty days and forty nights, He was hungry. The tempter came to Him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.”

Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”

Jeremiah 15:16
    "Your words were found and I ate them. And Your word became to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart, for I am called by Your name, O Lord God of Hosts."
    Last edited by Seraphim; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:56 PM.

This image was also posted in the thread "Alchemy, The Holy Science" but it also feels relevant to what we are discussing "The Sweetness"? Sorry :/

Last edited by Seraphim; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:50 AM.

+ Reply to Thread