Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 106

Thread: Mercury

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    21

    Mercury

    My name is Manfrid.
    I've been studyin Alchemy for a long, long time, but I didn't receive the Donun Dei, so ... I'm still lost.
    I would like to talk about Mercury. I have some ideas ... is there someone here interested in this topic?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bridger Mountains
    Posts
    2,382
    Blog Entries
    4
    The Heavenly, Philosophical, Common and/or Vulgar Mercury?

    It is an interesting topic!
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by Manfrid View Post
    My name is Manfrid.
    I've been studyin Alchemy for a long, long time, but I didn't receive the Donun Dei, so ... I'm still lost.
    I would like to talk about Mercury. I have some ideas ... is there someone here interested in this topic?
    Hi Manfred

    I would like to think that Mercury is one of the favorite topics of every aspiring Alchemist.

    The Understanding of Mercury is paramount to any progress in Alchemy.

    In my opinion Mercury is the Corner Stone of The Great Work.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    21
    I fully agree Black.
    But I have to do some distinctions.
    Like you know, the name Mercury has several meanings. Some are easy to understand but there is one very difficult to decipher:the Mercury that have be isolated from metals, to be bonded to Sulphur in the future. I personally call this Mercury the Wife of the Stone, and the Sulphur the Husband.
    "We have to find a metal that allows, in just a single operation, to extract, from it, the radicals Sulphur and Mercury; we must purify them and then reunite again" (Paracelso).
    This is the Mercury that I have no idea. As you said: the Paramount problem.
    Sulphur is the substance that carries energy that will cause changes in matter; Salt is the support that serves as a receptacle for Sulphur particles. So, what is the function of Mercury?
    Sorry if my english is not very good.
    Manfrid

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    1,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Manfrid View Post
    I fully agree Black.
    But I have to do some distinctions.
    Like you know, the name Mercury has several meanings. Some are easy to understand but there is one very difficult to decipher:the Mercury that have be isolated from metals, to be bonded to Sulphur in the future. I personally call this Mercury the Wife of the Stone, and the Sulphur the Husband.
    "We have to find a metal that allows, in just a single operation, to extract, from it, the radicals Sulphur and Mercury; we must purify them and then reunite again" (Paracelso).
    This is the Mercury that I have no idea. As you said: the Paramount problem.
    Sulphur is the substance that carries energy that will cause changes in matter; Salt is the support that serves as a receptacle for Sulphur particles. So, what is the function of Mercury?
    Sorry if my english is not very good.
    Manfrid
    Without Mercury, you can't make the Stone. Everything you need is in Mercury, including Sulphur. But there are different types and states of Mercury as there are of Sulphur. Initially, Mercury and Sulphur are just hermetic principles, not actual substances. Later the terms apply to various states of the manifestation.

    An excellent source for an explanation of Mercury, Sulphur and Salt is Philalethe's An Open Entrance to the Closed Palace of the King. Because of the terminology used, at first it may be a little difficult to follow, but read it through at least a half dozen times, and take lots of notes while doing so, especially of the precise terminology used. Eventually, it becomes quite clear.

    http://www.levity.com/alchemy/openentr.html

    [Thanks to 'Dwellings' for reminding me of this treatise].
    Last edited by Illen A. Cluf; 02-18-2021 at 10:45 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    579
    Blog Entries
    7
    Hi manfrid.
    As paracelso says you extract sulphur and mercury from the matter.

    Mercury extracted from the matter contains its own sulphur.
    You reduce a portion of mercury by itself into its own sulphur.
    Reunite this sulphur with more of the mercury. Then repeat.

    The dragon Mercury (oil ) has to " die " repeatedly, to be reduced into its own sulphur, then renewed by saturation with more mercury.

    The whole process for mercury is
    Mercury ( oil ) turns to its own sulphur ( earth ) sulphur saturated by mercury turns to salt ( crystal ).

    Mercury is called clear transparent gold, the dragon in the well.
    When it dies its renewed by itself. Out of its own ash or sulphur, mercury lives again. Called a true salamander.

    Its all very cryptic for a simple process.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    21
    Hello.
    Sorry but I really don’t understand.
    Nowadays I know what is Sulphur, I know how to isolate him, I know what Sulphur is chemically or physically speaking , and I know what role does it play in the Work.
    I know Mercury is necessary, I know that without him I can’t make the Stone … I’ve read the classic authors hundreds of time … I have studied Alchemy for over 40 years … but I still haven’t got this “spark” that allow me to understand Mercury as I had in relation to Sulphur.
    What is Mercury physically speaking, and what is his role ?
    Ok, let’s go a little deeper: which operation originates the Mercury?
    I count on your patience and goodwill .
    Thanks a lot .
    Manfrid

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    1,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Manfrid View Post
    Hello.
    Sorry but I really don’t understand.
    Nowadays I know what is Sulphur, I know how to isolate him, I know what Sulphur is chemically or physically speaking , and I know what role does it play in the Work.
    I know Mercury is necessary, I know that without him I can’t make the Stone … I’ve read the classic authors hundreds of time … I have studied Alchemy for over 40 years … but I still haven’t got this “spark” that allow me to understand Mercury as I had in relation to Sulphur.
    What is Mercury physically speaking, and what is his role ?
    Ok, let’s go a little deeper: which operation originates the Mercury?
    I count on your patience and goodwill .
    Thanks a lot .
    Manfrid
    Without knowing Mercury, how can you know Sulphur? Unless you are referring to vulgar (common) sulphur. The Philosopher's Sulphur ("our Sulphur") is entirely different.

    Without Mercury, you will never obtain Sulphur. The very first operation is where you obtain Mercury.

    I provided a source that explains Mercury - did you re-read it at least a half-dozen times? It explains it quite well.

    As mentioned, Mercury starts out as NOT something that is physical, or describable, but is rather a Hermetic principle. I think that's where your misunderstanding may start - it only manifest later but is still called "Mercury". This later manifestation is not found naturally anywhere in Nature. The later manifestation is a water that doesn't wet the hands.

    Thus you need to first attract it and then separate it (at least in some approaches). This is the one part of alchemy that is never openly explained. Everything else has fairly well been explained in detail.

    What is your understanding of Sulphur?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,129
    I think all of you describe different paths according to your own understanding.

    Manfrid talks about mercury extraction straight from metals, Illen talks about mercury manifested in a flask out of nothing, Kibric about liquid/solid phases of one matter which according to his understanding equals liquid = mercury, solid = Sulphur and combining them gives our salt...

    First try to decide on the starting matter so that you can be all on the same page.
    Formerly known as True Puffer

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    1,406
    Quote Originally Posted by True Initiate View Post
    I think all of you describe different paths according to your own understanding.

    Manfrid talks about mercury extraction straight from metals, Illen talks about mercury manifested in a flask out of nothing, Kibric about liquid/solid phases of one matter which according to his understanding equals liquid = mercury, solid = Sulphur and combining them gives our salt...

    First try to decide on the starting matter so that you can be all on the same page.
    I'm not referring to any specific path, but answering Manfrid's question of what Mercury actually "is".

    In order to answer that accurately, my answer tried to emphasize that the same term "Mercury" applies to various states, not just one, which leads to so much confusion. Regardless of the path and where it may be found, it always begins as an invisible, unmanifested Hermetic principle. That principle is associated with the Hermetic elements Air and Water. The Alchemist's job is to start with a pure manifested state of Mercury. Once attracted and/or manifested, it's still called "Mercury". The Mercury can be manifested directly or found hidden in a mineral (actually all minerals, but one contains it far more abundantly and in a more pure and workable state than others). Once the Mercury has been purified, it's still called Mercury. I referred to the fact that there are "several approaches" to attracting the Mercury and separating it. Those are the paths you mentioned. These paths vary significantly by the amount of time it takes to produce the Stone, by the expense and equipment involved, and by the level of difficulty.

    Mercury can also exist in an "active" state as well as a "passive" state. I tried to avoid discussing that aspect at this time, as it leads to yet more confusion. I also tried to avoid discussing the much more difficult question of how Sulphur relates to Mercury other than that it is potentially "contained" in Mercury. One aspect of Sulphur can also be found pure in Nature, which is used in the mineral approach. This understanding is not my invention, but much of it can be clearly found in the link I provided by a notable Alchemist. It is one of the most clear and open explanations of some of the theoretical aspects of Alchemy that I have come across. The treatise by Sendivogius (New Chemical Light) is another.
    Last edited by Illen A. Cluf; 02-20-2021 at 04:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts