Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Mercury

I agree there is a confusion because you can't work in the same manner with wood like you would with a stony meteorite or mineral like cinnabar or antimony. Everything depends on the first matter you choose to work with.
    Formerly known as True Puffer

Also, sometimes you work with one matter and other times it can 'involve' more than one matter even though what you are trying to obtain is in only the one matter.

This is another reason why, if you only look at the practical portions of treatises, you will only end up in total confusion. Once you understand the theory, then the practical explanations begin to make more sense.

Almost always, the practical portion leaves out the most important first step. This first step can often be deduced from the philosophical portion of the treatise.

Without the first understanding, all you will get is chemistry. The practical portion can actually describe a chemical process quite completely, and lead to results as physically described. But it won't transmute metals. They were very clever at leading astray those who were too lazy and impatient and didn't bother trying to understand the theoretical aspects.

Exactly! Now in the Dry way i have finally understood why do you need to add Nitre and Tartar. Nitre speeds up the whole chemical reaction and reduces the melting temperature of the first matter but it speeds it up way too much to the point of explosion but if you add tartar to the mix it slows the reaction down and prevents detonation. In other words those salts are not needed per se but they can be helpful in the first work.

Imagine you wish to separate the antimony metal from stibnite using only hot iron rod. It is possible because sulphur from stibnite will attach itself to the hot iron rod but it will turn it into iron sulphide so you will need to break the tip off and heat the new tip again or use multiple preheated iron rods just to free all the sulphur from stibnite. It's possible but it's tedious work without salts.

Quote Originally Posted by Illen A. Cluf View Post
    Without the first understanding, all you will get is chemistry. The practical portion can actually describe a chemical process quite completely, and lead to results as physically described. But it won't transmute metals. They were very clever at leading astray those who were too lazy and impatient and didn't bother trying to understand the theoretical aspects.
    I think this depends on the first matter. If the matter is correct mercury will be correct as well and so the rest of the operation!
    Last edited by True Initiate; 03-04-2021 at 08:45 PM.

Think of alchemy like brewing beer.

Beer has a golden color, and many describe it as liquid, living gold.

The gold color comes from the grain, which we can think of as vulgar gold. The grain is modified by allowing it to just begin to germinate. Then heat is applied which stops germination. This is like vulgar gold which is dead - the seed has been killed by heat.

A living, mercurial seed or yeast (mercury) is used to combine with the grain (gold) to extract the gold tincture and living essence (alcohol).

The result is beer (the Stone). It can be used to elevate vulgar metals (people) into feeling like gold!

Quote Originally Posted by True Initiate View Post
    Exactly! Now in the Dry way i have finally understood why do you need to add Nitre and Tartar. Nitre speeds up the whole chemical reaction and reduces the melting temperature of the first matter but it speeds it up way too much to the point of explosion but if you add tartar to the mix it slows the reaction down and prevents detonation. In other words those salts are not needed per se but they can be helpful in the first work.
    You are revealing too much :-) It is Fulcanelli's "trick" ("truc"). He calls it the "flick of the wrist":

"All these acceptations of the word exactly characterize the fine points of the Great Work in its swift, simple and direct realization, for it only requires the application of a very energetic fire to which the flick of the wrist boils down".

Also:

"We shall state it by saying that whosoever being ignorant of the flick of the wrist of the operation yet takes the risk to undertake it, must fear everything from the fire; that person is in real danger and can hardly escape the consequences of a thoughtless and reckless action".

"The trick of the Work would then reside in the application of the salt of tartar resulting from the attack on niter, regarded as the substance or one of the composing elements of the secret fire which alchemists so rigorously guarded in their treatises".
    Last edited by Illen A. Cluf; 03-04-2021 at 08:57 PM.

Ok, i am gonna stop now and go eat a dinner. :-)

I fully agree with you!!!

Thanks Manfrid! Check your notifications I have sent you something interesting!

I agree, there is many paths or procedures, depending the matters are chosen. We can read in Laplace:
    “ Il convient que je te parle ici du métal mort qui entre dans notre œuvre . Très sincèrement, tu peux choisir le fer autant que le cuivre ou l’argent ; ne sont exclus que le mercure et l’or … Toutefois, les réactions, proportions et descriptions des auteurs se rapportent surtout à un métal meilleur que les autres. Quelque soit ton choix, tu obtiendras toujours la même chose, mais l’aspect sera différent. Le résultat, entends au premier et deuxième œuvre , sera d’une couleur, autre densité, autre vertu ».
    And in Pasquier :
    « Toutefois, s’il n’existe pas une matière première exclusive, il se trouve qu’on pourrait établir une liste relativement longue des substances dont se sont servis les alchimistes jusqu’à présent, certaines de ces matière ayant été employées plus souvent que d’autres … La conséquence la plus immédiatement saisissable est qu’il n’existe pas une voie sèche et une voie humide, mais une quasi infinité de voies, de la plus sèche à la plus humide. Chaque matière ou combinaison de matières est en effet susceptible de subir plusieurs traitements différents mais analogues à l’égard du Solve-Coagula ».

So, if we don’t have a very good comprehension about matters and alchemical principles we’ll get “stuck” .
    I’ll put here my procedure in order to specify the matters I chose. This way, you’ll know, more or less, how I operate and will be able to comment knowing what is my way. I’ll skip the Salt preparation part, because I think there is no true difficult here.
    Manfrid

Here is the english translation of the french text posted by Manfrid above:

It is appropriate that I speak to you here about the dead metal which enters our work. Quite frankly, you can choose iron as much as copper or silver; only mercury and gold are excluded ... However, the reactions, proportions and descriptions of the authors relate mainly to a metal which is better than the others. Whichever you choose, you will always get the same thing, but the look will be different. The result, hear in the first and second work, will be of a color, another density, another virtue ".

And in Pasquier:

"However, if there is not a proprietary raw material, it turns out that one could draw up a relatively long list of substances which have been used by alchemists up to now, some of these substances having been used more often than others… The most immediately obvious consequence is that there is not a dry way and a wet way, but an almost infinite number of ways, from the driest to the wettest. Each material or combination of materials is indeed likely to undergo several different treatments but similar with regard to Solve-Coagula

It appears Jean was not so sure about the first matter as well. Interesting...

+ Reply to Thread