Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Invitation for Tips and Experiences with Melissa Officinalis (Lemon Balm)

Invitation for Tips and Experiences with Melissa Officinalis (Lemon Balm)

There is so much information on where to start and what to do, it's dizzying.

An Alchemical lemon balm elixir is a current project. I'm starting with dried plant material that I have purchased. I have a huge patch that I planted a few years ago and will come back this spring, but I want have some experience with the process before I harvest my plants.

What common mistakes should I look out for?
    Are there any tools that make this easier or better?
    Any authors or practices to avoid?

If there is anyone else planning on doing this work soon, please feel free to share here. I'd love to share pics back and forth of the progress on this post!
    Last edited by Sol Sister; 02-20-2021 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Wording

You need a true alchemical deliquium. This means, that if your salt, after deliquescence, by means of evaporation at 90 degree turns back to the form of salt.....then it is not going to work absolutely.

If you deliquium stays liquid ad libitum then it is correct and you can go extract the life out of melissa plant.

Otherwise it is useless

Quote Originally Posted by Argento Vivo View Post
    You need a true alchemical deliquium. This means, that if your salt, after deliquescence, by means of evaporation at 90 degree turns back to the form of salt.....then it is not going to work absolutely.

If you deliquium stays liquid ad libitum then it is correct and you can go extract the life out of melissa plant.

Otherwise it is useless
    Thank you Argento Vivo.

Is that 90F or 90C?
    If the deliquium does not stay liquid ad libitum, does that indicate further purification is necessary, that the plant matter is unacceptable, or something else?
    Last edited by Sol Sister; 02-20-2021 at 01:37 PM. Reason: additional question

90C/100C

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Sister View Post
    There is so much information on where to start and what to do, it's dizzying.

An Alchemical lemon balm elixir is a current project. I'm starting with dried plant material that I have purchased. I have a huge patch that I planted a few years ago and will come back this spring, but I want have some experience with the process before I harvest my plants.

What common mistakes should I look out for?
    Are there any tools that make this easier or better?
    Any authors or practices to avoid?

If there is anyone else planning on doing this work soon, please feel free to share here. I'd love to share pics back and forth of the progress on this post!
    Making an alchemical elixir (medicine) depends on what skills and equipment you have. The simplest method is to extract the lemon balm with ethanol/water. Press the herb biomass to get all the liquid out of it. Then distill off the liquid from the extract. Store the extract gum while you calcine the biomass. Then extract the ashes with the phlegm water from the ethanol/water solvent, or use distilled water to get the salts. Purify the gum by dissolving in the phelgm or distilled water, filter, distill, repeat until no more feces are in the filter. Do the same with the salts. When both are pure conjoin and turn the wheel: dissolve filter distill repeat. Do this in a water bath so you don't burn your Vegetable Fire (extracted gum: Sericon).

More complex method is to dry distill the biomass and collect the Elements in a receiver. Then separate and purify them. But those Elements are toxic until you purify them.

Quote Originally Posted by z0 K View Post
    Making an alchemical elixir (medicine) depends on what skills and equipment you have. The simplest method is to extract the lemon balm with ethanol/water. Press the herb biomass to get all the liquid out of it. Then distill off the liquid from the extract. Store the extract gum while you calcine the biomass. Then extract the ashes with the phlegm water from the ethanol/water solvent, or use distilled water to get the salts. Purify the gum by dissolving in the phelgm or distilled water, filter, distill, repeat until no more feces are in the filter. Do the same with the salts. When both are pure conjoin and turn the wheel: dissolve filter distill repeat. Do this in a water bath so you don't burn your Vegetable Fire (extracted gum: Sericon).

More complex method is to dry distill the biomass and collect the Elements in a receiver. Then separate and purify them. But those Elements are toxic until you purify them.
    z0 K, thank you! I have a glass distillation train and a few other pieces of lab glass.

Is a coffee filter suitable or is it too fine?

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Sister View Post
    z0 K, thank you! I have a glass distillation train and a few other pieces of lab glass.

Is a coffee filter suitable or is it too fine?
    Yes coffee filter papers work fine. Though sometimes you might need to use two instead of one when very fine particles go through one paper coffee filter.

Quote Originally Posted by z0 K View Post
    Yes coffee filter papers work fine. Though sometimes you might need to use two instead of one when very fine particles go through one paper coffee filter.
    Thank you

+ Reply to Thread