Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Sorcery For Immortality And Transmutation Of Metals

I would like people's opinions on this I found a book early last year called sorcery for beginners. The guy who wrote said he was contacted by a women who was interested in writing a book on sorcery. What's interesting me I did some research on the women and I found on ancestry that there was a women who lived in the 1800s same name but no death was listed on the page no record of her death was on there. I checked the book out and it was listed for children and it was based on a kid who was bullied and he comes across a real magick book store and this women gives him a book on sorcery and this book teaches sorcery but what's interesting about the book is as he learns the spells of the book it teaches you how to do as well with rune magick by using your hands to form runes and In the book it says if you have something that's broken to get a pure sliver thimble and put dead sea salt inside put it near the broken object and do the rune symbols and say the latin word. weirdly enough I tried without the thimble and weirdly enough I got an shock in my hand after doing the rune symbols with my hands. I took the liberty to contact the author told him about the spell I'm trying to do which was the repair an broken item and I explained how I was doing it he said like be careful because with that spell the thimble will end up with splinters on the inside even though it stated it was the repair spell very weird

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Red Lion View Post
    using your hands to form runes
    If you make magickal symbols/gestures with your hands, make sure you draw every section/line/curve starting from the center and going in both directions outwardly, using both hands.

Graphically:

Don't do this:
    Do this:

Do you believe by doing the rune shapes with my hand and using a sliver thimble I could repair a broken object? It make sense to me as life force energy is all around us and sliver must be able to attract this energy and I believe that's what makes the spell work.

Blog Entries
    Links on Dr Faustus. This site used till about a month ago let you see the scans without logging in. Just wanted to show that marlowe based his play on a real man and most people knew it for centuries after.

" The History of the damnable life, and deserved death of Dr. John Faustus. Newly printed, and in convenient places, impertinent matter amended, according to the true copy, printed at Frankford; and translated into English, by P.R. gent.Date[1710?] "
    https://wellcomecollection.org/works/prb62afz

" The Famous history of Doctor John Faustus, the noted conjurer and necromancer: wherein is contained many very strange things that himself had seen and done in the earth and air; with his bringing up, travels, and last end.-- Truly translated from the original copy. "
    https://wellcomecollection.org/works/vq895ysz

There is a load more if you dig

Cant get pic to load. Maybe its the website

Quote Originally Posted by Tannur View Post
    Still doesn't explain how knowledge of the four elements etc will lead to spiritual realization.
    There is an idea in the Hermetic tradition to establish an image of the macrocosm in the mind of the adept, which will put him/her in resonance with all of Creation.

We find this exemplified in Giordano Bruno's magical memory art as well as in Robert Fludd's universalistic approach. Interestingly, the concept also seems to have influenced Shakespeare.

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/197...-of-the-world/

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    There is nothing spiritual about Alchemy at all per se.
    It is a Natural Science as I have been repeating over and over again.
    BUT ... without the Divine connection there will be NO Alchemy.
    We should bear in mind, however, that the distinction between Natural Science and Metaphysics is a relatively modern one, as it is the result of the Scientific Revolution, which first drew a line between matter and mind. Whereas the Hermetic cosmos of the ancients integrated the two aspects into a single holistic model. This model was considered applicable both to the Universe at large (the Macrocosm) and to Man (the Microcosm).

In my view, an updated and expanded version of this model will be needed in order to restore Alchemy, and Hermetics in general, to their rightful place.

This should be seen in context with the idea of a Hermetic revolution that I brought up in one of my previous posts in this thread. As Science becomes more mystical, Mysticism becomes more scientific.

Removed. I will try to edit and re-post at some point.
    Last edited by Tannur; 5 Days Ago at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sternbach View Post
    In my view, an updated and expanded version of this model will be needed in order to restore Alchemy, and Hermetics in general, to their rightful place.

This should be seen in context with the idea of a Hermetic revolution that I brought up in one of my previous posts in this thread. As Science becomes more mystical, Mysticism becomes more scientific.
    Hi Michael

Many years back I thought how wonderful it could be with Alchemy/Hermetics helping
    millions and millions of people all over the world (like most beginners to this art I also
    was quite naive) ... but now I have a clearer and some what sadder view.

From the very large numbers of people that take an interest in Alchemy that only after
    a short time of weeks, months or years they soon fall from this path and find other things
    to amuse themselves with i.e. night clubs, rock climbing, stamp collecting, ping pong, etc, etc.

And that's ok .... because now I have a better understanding of why there is such a
    very, very small number of adept alchemists in the world today.

Perhaps one day in the distant future there may be more ???

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sternbach View Post
    There is an idea in the Hermetic tradition to establish an image of the macrocosm in the mind of the adept, which will put him/her in resonance with all of Creation.

We find this exemplified in Giordano Bruno's magical memory art as well as in Robert Fludd's universalistic approach. Interestingly, the concept also seems to have influenced Shakespeare.

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/197...-of-the-world/
    Nice article. I remember reading something about the microcosm-macrocosm concordance in Imam Ghazali's Wonders of the Heart a while back. I found it very interesting at the time and wished he would go into more detail. But anyway, I have personally found all the detail I could want on this topic in the Koran. I actually studied alchemical texts a lot *before* reading the Koran. So when I started reading it I was able to see the deeper meaning of things like mountains, birds, etc. As I said before, the Koran is the true spiritual alchemy in my opinion. In alchemy, you learn alchemy "externally" for metals and minerals. In the Koran, you learn the true human alchemy through the stories of the Prophets. Whereas alchemy teaches the stages of evolution by the planets, the Koran does so by the Prophets. Being humans, this makes it much easier to learn spiritual alchemy.

There are also magicians, charlatans, snakes, and so on mentioned. These are the forces of darkness within. There are also of course the forces of light in the form of the "occult alchemists" (the part of you which is like the alchemists and pursues its calling with a Divine, sincere intention). I call this part "Shakespeare" because Shakespeare in my opinion is a famous example of someone who was an alchemist at heart. It doesn't matter that he pursued playwrighting. This was *his* calling and he did well. Your calling may not be alchemy. If it is, I encourage you to pursue it as much as possible. Traditionally in the Islamic tradition, the "path of knowledge" was of course not alchemy but instead consisted of the Islamic sciences. As far as I know, the more advanced institutes followed Plato's path of philosophy. So they would first learn the trivium at the lower levels, then the Koranic and Hadith sciences, then philosophy. Things like natural science, metaphysics, philosophical ethics. This tradition is still taught in Turkey today. Hasan Spiker is a good example of someone who followed this path: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...y=hasan+spiker Thomas Aquinas is a good example from the medieval times.

So yes, we must follow Shakespeare. Unfortunately, a lot of people separate their craft/calling from their religion. So they will do physics, for example, without linking it to a Divine intention. They will just do it for the sake of intellectual satisfaction. I do not want to name names (one of the reasons I removed my last post), but examples abound. If you find that a physicist (or anyone else for that matter) does not mention the Divine in his works - except in passing - and simply pursues the craft for ever more results, ever more discoveries, ever more complexity, ever more intellectual satisfaction, then know them by their mark. Sendivogius makes this very clear in the preface to his Twelve Treatises.

"Many Sages, Scholars, and learned men have in all ages, and (according to Hermes) even so early as the days before the Flood, written much concerning the preparation of the Philosopher's Stone; and if their books could be understood without a knowledge of the living processes of Nature, one might almost say that they are calculated to supersede the study of the real world around us. But though they never departed from the simple ways of Nature they have something to teach us, which, in these more sophisticated times, still need to learn, because we have applied ourselves to what are regarded as the more advanced branches of knowledge, and despise the study of so "simple " a thing as natural Generation. Hence we pay more heed to impossible things than to those objects which are broadly exhibited before our very eyes, we excel more in subtle speculations than in a sober study of Nature, and of the meaning of the Sages. It is one of the most remarkable features of human nature that we neglect those things which seem familiar, and are eager for new and strange information. The workman who has attained the highest degree of excellence in his Art, neglects it, and applies himself to something else, or else abuses his knowledge. Our longing for an increase of knowledge urges us ever onward towards some final goal, in which we imagine that we shall find full rest and satisfaction, like the ant which is not endowed with wings till the last days of its life. In our time, the Philosophical Art has become a very subtle matter; it is the craft of the goldsmith compared with that of the humble workman who exercises his calling at the forge. We have made such mighty strides in advance that if the ancient Masters of our science, Hermes and Geber and Raymond Lullius, were to rise from the dead, they would be treated by our modern Alchemists not as Sages but as only humble learners. They would seem very poor scholars in our modern lore of futile distillations, circulations, calcinations and in all the other countless operations wherewith modern research has so famously enriched our Art though without understanding the sense of the ancient writings. In all these respects, our learning is vastly superior to theirs. Only one thing is unfortunately wanting to us which they possessed, namely, the knack they had of actually preparing the Philosopher's Stone. Perhaps, then, their simple methods were after all the best; and it is on this supposition that I desire, in this volume, to teach you to understand Nature so that our vain imaginations may not misdirect us in the true and simple way."

If you see a "scholar" fighting over who discovered what, know him by his mark. If you find a scholar arguing over results, seeking fame, taking up prestigious positions in later life, etc, know him. But if you find someone who lives as anonymous as possible, teaches those who want to learn from him for free, leads a humble existence, and pursues his craft for the highest Divine purpose only, then know them by their mark also. These are the Shakespeares of the world - or, if you like, the alchemists. It doesn't matter what you call them. They are one and the same.

Edit: And one last thing I should probably mention, to round it all off and link it back to the Koran which I mentioned at the start, is that this is the path of Moses. Why do you think so many alchemists mentioned Moses? The path of Shakespeare, of the alchemists, of Thomas Aquinas etc is the path of Moses. His story is mentioned in Surah al-Qasas in the Koran. It is mentioned again in Surah Ta-Ha and at other places. This is the roughest of summaries of Moses's story:

In Surah al-Qasas and Surah Ta-Ha:
    1. He is adopted by Pharaoh and learns the ancient Egyptian sciences in Pharaoh's palaces. He probably excels in these studies, meaning of course that he is able to produce the Philosopher's stone. But notice that this is not his *calling*. If it wasn't for being brought up under Pharaoh's guidance, he probably couldn't care less for ancient Egyptian lore. He was a man of God, and men of God are built of a different matter than the ordinary human. He had a higher calling, and possessing the Philosopher's stone wouldn't have meant much to him.
    2. Probably at the start of his life as a rising Hierophant, right after completion of his Egyptian studies, Moses decides to go into the city unguarded, unaided. There, two men are fighting. This is the sign of Egypt my friends - know it by its mark. Priority disputes. Arguments over who discovered what. Fighting with fellow scholars. Same thing. So the guy calls out to the rising Hierophant Moses for help. Probably because of his status, Moses felt he had to help him. And he hits the other guy and he dies: https://youtu.be/2rG8HMYsZsc?t=157 (2:37-3:32)
    3. Moses escapes to Madyan. This is the Shakespeare phase of the story. And guess what he finds there? Instead of two men fighting, two women are standing waiting to water their sheep. So wait, none of the men there is letting them go ahead? Yes. So these men are charlatans. They are the puffers. Those who pursue the craft for worldly gain, fame, reputation, wealth. Why are they in the land of Shakespeare then? Because one can do outwardly exactly the same thing as those who are true. But inwardly, he is a charlatan. This is the story of the puffers from start to finish. This is the story of the magicians. The fakes. The Shakespeare wannabes: https://youtu.be/2rG8HMYsZsc?t=252 (4:12-5:21)
    4. At Madyan, Moses finds his true calling. One of these women is given to him in marriage on condition that he completes 10 years of... watering sheep as a Shepherd! If he can do this for 10 years, he gets to marry the girl. So this girl is like the craft we pursue with a Divine intention. For the alchemist, alchemy is like a wife. It is the succour of his life: https://youtu.be/2rG8HMYsZsc?t=321 (5:21-6:28)
    5. After the completion of his apprenticeship in the way of Shakespeare, the alchemists, and all those who pursued their craft with a Divine intention, Moses is given his reward. But it goes much deeper than just a wife. Yes, he masters the craft (i.e. marries the wife). But this leads to much greater things. He is spoken to directly by God. And guess what happens? You know those men who were watering their sheep without letting the women go first? Do you think they got anything in the end? But Moses offered to help the women. He was in it for the Divine. And after 10 years of worshipping the Divine in this way, the tool of his craft - his Shepherd's stick - acquired potent power. It became a snake, but not the evil sort. This is the snake of God. The Divine snake which was to gobble up the snakes of every charlatan out there: https://youtu.be/2rG8HMYsZsc?t=387 (6:27-7:44) So Moses was not even seeking fame, but he got fame in the end. What does this mean? :

a. The works that the true practitioner produces gobble up the works of every other practitioner out there. They supersede by their elegance, magnificence, power. Is there a playwright greater than Shakespeare in the English language? Is there a natural scientist who can create an object of greater worth and majesty than the philosopher's stone?

b. The Divine intention that one develops gobbles up the taint of satan within. That seeking of wordly fame. The charlatan, puffer impulse. The stain of hypocrisy. All of that is gobbled up, and one becomes pure. This is the white hand of Moses, for Moses was not just given the snake. He was also given the white hand. And these were his two signs. The stick he used in his craft as a Shepherd, and the hand which he used in the craft. Both of them acquired Divine power:

https://youtu.be/64CFU7tTKFU?t=319 (5:19-7:15)
    Last edited by Tannur; 4 Days Ago at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Hi Michael

Many years back I thought how wonderful it could be with Alchemy/Hermetics helping
    millions and millions of people all over the world (like most beginners to this art I also
    was quite naive) ... but now I have a clearer and some what sadder view.

From the very large numbers of people that take an interest in Alchemy that only after
    a short time of weeks, months or years they soon fall from this path and find other things
    to amuse themselves with i.e. night clubs, rock climbing, stamp collecting, ping pong, etc, etc.

And that's ok .... because now I have a better understanding of why there is such a
    very, very small number of adept alchemists in the world today.

Perhaps one day in the distant future there may be more ???
    Hi Black

This might be the case in the not-so-far future, actually. I, for one, predict a rising interest in Alchemy in the coming years, as the world enters the Age of Aquarius, whose beginning is marked by the year 2030. I make this statement not least in light of the remarkable transits of the slower moving planets in the period leading up to that threshold.

Granted, the number of practitioners - let alone of those, that actually achieve something of wider significance - may always remain comparatively small, but hey, there is so much more to Alchemy.

Alchemy is nothing but applied Hermetics after all. It is breathing in and giving expression to the Hermetic cosmos that I mentioned before. So there is our practical art on the one hand, and the natural philosophy that provides the context of the latter on the other.

This refers to a world view that reintegrates science with spirituality. That kind of conception is a much needed alternative to Trans-Humanism and related movements, which are in fact the epithome of a materialistic science and technology that separates matter from spirit and in fact denies the real existence of the latter.

Hermetics is intrinsically designed to bridge that gap like no other school of thought that I am aware of. Hence my optimism.

Blog Entries
    Well said.

Transhumanism is already here. We dont notice it.
    There is already a growing data set parallel to your life.
    It can predict more you feed it.
    Your conciousness has already been simulated in the most basic way.
    By 2030 your data set will be able to simulate you and your responses with a scary realism.
    Uploading your ghost was futurolgy. We gave ourselves this terrible idea.

+ Reply to Thread