Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Electrum of the Philosophers

It was also used to make a magic mirror.
    Yes, a magic mirror made with an electrum tripod which supports five Philosophical Stones : vegetal, animal, mineral, astral and another named "The God Fire".
    This kind of Mirror has the name of Urim and Thummim in Rosicrucian Societies.

play dough -- once again thank you for your excellent post. Your analysis made a lot of sense. It was very Jungian, as he was constantly admonishing us to open the pathways between the conscious and subconscious.

Another interesting thing about electrum is that for many centuries it was considered the very best material to mint coins from. coins made from pure gold are too soft and were always susceptible to clipping. coins of pure silver did not contain the Royal element. However, the gold silver alloy was perfect, because it consisted 100% pure precious metals, but also was hard and durable unlike pure gold.

So... the philosophers electrum could represent a coin of the realm, only in this case you are purchasing something far more precious.

Electrum is an alloy of 7 metals did at astrological times 4 magical purposes 4 bells and bowls.

1. consciousness
    2. subconsciousness - narrow zone between them
    3. unconsciousness //& collective//

When a part of unconsciousness is known or illuminated, its no more unconsciousness, but consciousness.

Unconsciousness IS AUTONOMOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    & more powerful than "you"...

Sun is not programmer etc.
    Last edited by horticult; 06-20-2009 at 04:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    Found this...

Jacob Boehme writes,
    “The dew of heaven, and the oiliness of the earth is our subject of art, or Matter. Neither mineral nor metal; the Pythagorean Y shows us that there are two mercurial substances in one root, Fire and Water, namely Sulphur , and Mercury, extracted from the substance in which lie all metals and minerals. It is a salt dew of heaven, but a mineral and metallic dew of heaven, in which are contained all the colors of the world.

“This dew may be coagulated by Art into a sweet salt called Manna, by means of Arsenic. Sol is its father, Luna its mother; from these two, it receives its light, life and brightness; from the Sun, its fiery, and from the Moon, its watery, radiance.

“We find it both coagulated and dissolved. This dew falls from above into the depths of the earth, and the subtlest portion of the earth is its body. From above come its soul and spirit, fire, and light, and enter into a body of Salt.

“Thus, it receives the strength or substantial virtue, of both the superior and inferior things.

“It has no other colors to the outer eyes than white, green, yellow, red, and black. This mineral Dew appears corporeal to our outer eyes, yet to the miners in the mountains, it is sometimes perceptible, subsequent to the outward appearance, as thick, watery and dripping. The best dew is coagulated like an electrum, or like transparent amber, of mixed color.”

Boehme was referring to dew only as an allegory. He doesn't refer to the vulgar substance. That's my understanding and interpretation, but your mileage may vary.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, but did you notice he used the words electrum and amber to describe the dew?

I usually think of Boehme as an allegorist too, writing spiritual things with the alchemical tongue.
    But after reading Opus Mago and Golden Chain, they both mention this dew,
    mercury or slime that accompanies the metals in the mines.

Anyway, this thread isn't about dew, but you had mentioned the connection
    between electrum and amber earlier.

I see what you mean Solomon Levi. Sorry for being so brief earlier, I had just woken up from a nap. Take a look at the image I've attached to this post. It shows the triad of Mercury, Sulphur, and Salt. Mercury is connected to the main tree trunk, and the seven metals grow from the branches of the tree. There's a great secret here to be learned!
    Attached Images

amber

edited...
    Quote Originally Posted by solomon levi View Post
    The best dew is coagulated like an electrum, or like transparent amber, of mixed color.”
    Good morning!

Happy Father's Day (U.S.A.) to all of us who are dads.

'Amber' is the ancient resin of trees. The resin has gone through a number of changes over millions of years. http://www.gplatt.demon.co.uk/whatis.htm

Amber is 'between kingdoms' i.e., vegetable and mineral ... and something that has gone through seeming continuous 'transmutations'.

It can be poetically described as a 'link' between two realms; above/below, inner/outer, consciousness/sub-consciousness, a 'bridge'. It is something that is 'self extracting' (seeps from a tree) and 'disssolves' (liquid) and then 'coagulates' (solid) by cooperating with nature.

A fitting symbol for Alchemy!

"As Above, So Below" except for cappuccino.

divisions...

edited ...
    Quote Originally Posted by horticult View Post
    Electrum is an alloy of 7 metals did at astrological times 4 magical purposes 4 bells and bowls.

1. consciousness
    2. subconsciousness - narrow zone between them
    3. unconsciousness //& collective//

When a part of unconsciousness is known or illuminated, its no more unconsciousness, but consciousness.

Sun is not programmer etc.

This is all opinion based on experience with Alchemy and The Tarot.

The metaphysical theory (Tarot as it relates to Alchemy) is that consciousness is divided into many components: self-consciousness, sub-consciousness, super-consciousness, un-consciousness, and then all of the multifarious creatures exhibiting 'consciousness'. Like, lion consciousness, human consciousness, alligator consciousness, etc., etc.

Suggesting that 'pure consciousness' assumes the attributes of 'the form' which it occupies. For instance, 'pure consciousness' enters into a human being and, as a result, experiences 'human consciousness' ..... or what it is like to be 'human'.

What it is that navigates between human consciousness and human sub-consciousness is 'Philosophical Mercury'. Which, like 'amber' is 'between kingdoms'.

The 'unconscious' (limited definition) handles things that are not required to be handled consciously, i.e., digestion, healing of a scratch or cut, etc.

The sub-consciousness (limited definition) cannot be known 'consciously' (thus the name sub-consciousness). However, we can recognize 'stuff' when it percolates up from subconsciousness to the threshold of consciousness.

When 'consciousness' expands it does not expand into sub-consciousness....it expands into 'un-consciousness' and reveals something that was previously hidden.

The metaphysical theory is that consciousness can re-program itself and sub-consciousness. Sub-consciousness is thought of as being that part of the self that contains our sub-routines. We can change our sub-routines by 'impregnating' our sub-conscious with a 'thought-form'.

Images are best for reprogramming the subconscious; 'image', mage, magician, magic; transformations.

The subconsciousness then takes that image (message) and 'makes it happen' if the image is constant and fortified by the 'intent' of consciousness.

The carrier-wave that connects the consciousness with the sub-consciousness can be described (opinion) as The Electrum of The Philosophers.

Like 'amber' the 'Electrum' navigates between realms.

Strictly speaking you are correct when you say that the "Sun is not programmer" but the term as I used it was to create a distinction between our solar and lunar natures. With the sun representing what is apparent and the lunar representing what is hidden or beneath.

Ultimately, it is 'All One' and the '1' has just been cleaved into multifarious parts and then each part given a name. These names create 'divisions' in consciousness with the ultimate division being 'self' and 'other'.

The philosophical fact-of-life is that where 'the self' ends (at the skin?) is a matter of philosophical opinion. When someone has an extraordinary breakthrough into 'super-consciousness' then the illusory barriers between self and everything disintegrate.

The illusory barriers began their life as constructions of consciousness (i.e., social conditioning) which then became a fixed part of our sub-consciousness programming. They became the lens through which we view and experience 'reality' (self and other).

If, as the alchemical teachings suggest, all is ONE then when our conscious mind embraces that posture (all is 1) then eventually we reprogram ourselves by the formulation of that new belief. We then as a result, have altered our operating system and have changed our sub-conscious program.

In the tarot, the sub-conscious is the storehouse of memory which keeps us from having to 'reassemble' our worlds each day when we awaken.

The subconscious contains (not exclusive) all of our personal rules which have evolved into behavior patterns. These patterns can be changed when 'The Electrum' like amber, is linked between the two realms (i.e., consciousness and subconsciousness) and new 'commands' are entered into sub from self-consciousness.

Anyhow, that is the cosmology as I see it.

This analysis also reveals the expansive scope of alchemy into the mysteries of the mind, consciousness and human behavior. So, it seems, that the ancient alchemists were aware of the powers of consciousness and used terms to describe them which must also be examined in the light of contemporary metaphysics and psychology (i.e., Jung, Freud).

Also suggested (i.e., amber) is that consciousness is something that can be 'extracted' from its present location (human) by dilligently separating the subtle (spirit/consciousness) from the 'gross' (matter/form/body).
    And.... The Electrum is the tool that assists us in this superhuman task.

Philosophical Mercury dissolves the 'iron curtain' that exists between consciousness and subconsciousness and that dissolution creates (reveals) The Electrum of The Philosophers which (opinion) is a clear channel between self-consciousness and subconsciousness. The Electrum gets us into the control booth of reality and enables us to dissolve the toxins which have accumulated there and to renew ourselves and our reality.

Last edited by Play_Dough; 06-21-2009 at 08:53 PM.
    "As Above, So Below" except for cappuccino.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleilius View Post
    I see what you mean Solomon Levi. Sorry for being so brief earlier, I had just woken up from a nap. Take a look at the image I've attached to this post. It shows the triad of Mercury, Sulphur, and Salt. Mercury is connected to the main tree trunk, and the seven metals grow from the branches of the tree. There's a great secret here to be learned!
    Schwaller, and other philosophers, have instructed us to regard the metals,
    not as individual unique species, but as one thing seen in different phases
    of its evolution, or rather different degrees of impurity/cleanliness.

I think this is what the tree is telling us: it's one tree - not a linden, a pine, an oak,
    a madrone, etc - but one tree, growing from the root of mercury.

This probably isn't the secret that you're refering to, but it's what I can see today.

Yes, Happy Father's day everyone.
    Last edited by solomon levi; 06-21-2009 at 11:11 PM.

+ Reply to Thread