Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thoth

1. Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    I see Thoth as equivalent to Logos.
    Yes yes yes! I've looked into this extensively and it does seem that Thoth/Mercury/Hermes is to be understood as the Logos principle. His common epithets ("Tongue of Re", "Lord of Divine Words",etc) all clearly point towards that interpretation. Also of high importance is Thoth's role as psychopomp, initiator into the Mysteries and Death. He is invoked in the "Opening of the Mouth" ritual that grants the soul of Pharaoh the ability to speak divine names and thereby cross the gates of the Du'at.

Ma'at is the principle of cosmic order in Egyptian philosophical thought...it is the agent that assures that the sun will rise after it sets, without Ma'at all will fall into Chaos. Indeed, Thoth and Ma'at are closely linked and in some Egyptian mythology they are considered consorts thought this is not very common. However, Logos means a lot more that "Word", in Greek it also means "order", "ratio", and "harmony" and another one of Thoth's epithets is "Lord of Ma'at" all of which strengthens the connection between Thoth and the ordering principle of the cosmos.

David Fidler writes extensively about this in his "Jesus Christ:Sun of God"...a great book for those who wish to look into how the doctrine of Logos (in its mathematic, geometric, and astronomical manifestations) made its way from the ancient Mysteries into Christianity.

If anyone is interested, I've summed up some of Fidler's thesis along with my own insights here.

Hi Poimandres

Have you read "The Kybalion" and if so would you say that we are all part of one dream?

Your link lead me to this text indirectly. I have not read it, but I intend to soon.

The above question was formed from reading a description of "The All" on wiki.

Anything is possible...or nothing

Ghislain

"Poimandres had spoken a Word. The Word was Reason"

3. Quote Originally Posted by Ghislain View Post
    Hi Poimandres

Have you read "The Kybalion" and if so would you say that we are all part of one dream?

Your link lead me to this text indirectly. I have not read it, but I intend to soon.

The above question was formed from reading a description of "The All" on wiki.

Anything is possible...or nothing

Ghislain

"Poimandres had spoken a Word. The Word was Reason"
    Greetings Ghislain,

Yes, I have read the Kybalion, and yes to a certain extent I do believe that we are all part of one dream. This is very much the basic Hermetic cosmogony centered around the Universe as Mind (i.e. Nous).

I think the Kyablion is a nice "modernization" of Hermetic principles, but I personally prefer the texts of the traditional Corpus Hermetica.

I started the kybalion, and the one thing that annoyed me greatly, is that it seemed to ignore the fact that the Corpus Hermeticum is from the gnostic millieux of the second century. The authors of the Kybalion are pretty seriously mythologizing the roots of their work... So in that respect it is very far from inspired... Have not fully read the book, because that put me seriously off it. Will get to it, but I will have a hard time taking it seriously if it gonna completely go off into speculationland.
    *Z*

Well, according to Drunvalo Melchizedek, Thoth was as real as you and me. He found out 56 000 years ago how to stay conscious and alive in his physical body and kept it until 1991.

That's all very well explained in his books - The Acntient Secret of the Flower of Life Tome 1 and 2.

+ Reply to Thread