Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thrice's Alchemy Index

Thrice's Alchemy Index

Good band, amazing album. But one thing I'm personally having a problem with here is the icon on the album cover, and I was wondering whether it's just me, or it's completely wrong.

The icon is meant to be representative of each disc of the album, each of which being representative of one of the core four, earth, fire, air and water. The center Icon I fully recognize as the process or creation of a philosopher's stone, where it get's hazy is the exterior icons, the west position they are using to represent air, north fire, east water, and south earth. But these aren't what I've known these symbols to mean I was always taught that the one on the west would be considered either Alum or in the case of ouroboros an eternal return, the one to the north being gold, the one to the east being salt, and the one to the south being that of sal armoniac.

Is it a simple mistake upon the bands part or something else?

I can sort of see where gold would be used for heat or fire as it is dominated by sol, and that's the main source for heat and fire, the one on the west stepping further from the meaning and making the stretch that one would assume it's referring to the salt content of the sea, but as for the other two I'm at an EPIC loss. I'm just mildly confused as to whether or not this is a mistake of the bands, or a lack of information on my part, I only knew (know) of the triangular symbols representing air earth water and fire.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure about the element relation, but what it looks like to me is
    the Theosophical creation scheme.
    The circle is the void or Ain Soph;
    The point in the circle is the first manifestation - 1 dimension; I AM.
    The line is 2 dimensions; Seperating the above and below.
    The cross gives 90 degree angles - orthogonal rotation - the rest of the dimensions;
    a further division into four elements, directions, etc.

solomon

ps - I have this cd also. It's pretty good.

Hmm, so, the circles wouldn't be the literal symbols then you're saying, but an illustration of the division of the four, interesting.

At least that's what I'm getting out of what you're saying, I am admittedly new to this, save for the knowledge of the basic symbols in alchemy that, pretty much everyone knows, lol.

Blog Entries
    Yeah. It's a creation story. How the world (cross in the circle) came
    into being from the void (empty circle).
    In the Theosophical version, there's actually quite a few additional emblems/
    images to the story, but that's the basic outline. They also continue to divide
    creation into seven.

Cool, guess I just looked too literally into the initial design.

If you could hook me up with a site with some more information on this I'd appreciate it, doesn't hurt to read.

Blog Entries
    I learned it from a book called
    "The Secret Doctrine of the Rosicrucians"
    by Magus Incognito.

Maybe it's on google books or scribd.

Quote Originally Posted by solomon levi View Post
    I learned it from a book called
    "The Secret Doctrine of the Rosicrucians"
    by Magus Incognito.

Maybe it's on google books or scribd.
    Cool beans.

Blog Entries

a good read.

Blog Entries
    I must have missed this thread, but I'm a huge thrice fan. I love this album, especially the 'earth' and 'fire' tracks for some reason.

Justin Kensrue is an amazing musician/songwriter.

I had a chance to see him play in Salt Lake City with Jesse Lacey and Brand New.

Also, as to the creation cycle on the cover design, the central square, circle and triangle represents, imo, the athanor.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

+ Reply to Thread