Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The Philosopher's Stone and Immortality

The Philosopher's Stone and Immortality

Hello, everybody.
    Here's a question for you:
    Do You believe that Philosopher's Stone could be created and it can give immortality?

Quote Originally Posted by Opus Magnum View Post
    Hello, everybody.
    Here's a question for you:
    Do You believe that Philosopher's Stone could be created and it can give immortality?
    Why do you ask? Do you think this is possible?
    *Z*

Blog Entries
    I think it is possible to prolong life, even as far as becoming 150-250 years... after that any physical immortality is, I am afraid, probably impossible.

A spiritual immortality is another matter... but I don't think that is what you are asking about.

Regardless in order to live, one must first die like Jesus on the cross...

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Why do you ask? Do you think this is possible?
    *Z*
    Just interested at your opinions. I think it's possible.

Hmmm I kind-of suspect that there is an "elixir" of imortality, likely secreted by the brain itself, which can enormously prolong physical life. As for the stone, I don't know, but I see nothing inherently flawed with the idea that through the right combination of processes that lead could be transformed into gold physically.
    -Z-

6. I just don't see physical immortality as a worthwhile pursuit. I agree with some of you that it may be possible to prolong life, but unless you have some greater roll to fulfill on the material plane doing so would only imply that you have surrendered your soul to the tellurian body-ego.

Speaking in terms of spiritual alchemy, this would be an inversion of the Great Work. Why remain in the fallen saturnian/lead state of the physical body when you have the opportunity to obtain true immortality as a god-like spiritual being?

You may argue that the soul is immortal anyway, which is true. But the "I" that which makes you a conscious individual is not. Alchemy interpreted as a spiritual discipline teaches you how to extract that individuality/consciousness from the animal body and fuse it to the soul/eternal body so that even after death you can proclaim "I am". In this sense the Philosopher's Stone is the vessel which allows you to traverse the spiritual universe as cognizant spiritual being , it is identical to the Merkavah chariot of the Kabbalists...it is the the etheric body for your sense of Self. Without it your soul and conscious Self will be absorbed into the collective All and will continue to be recycled in the life-death patterns of the material universe.

If you ever look at Buddhist art you will be familiar with a common motif of the worldly karma circle in which all life and death happens surrounded by a few isolated figures...those figures are the initiated Buddhas that have obtained true immortality and will forever reign outside the life-death cycles of the material universe. I digress... regardless, I am curious to know why you seek physical immortality.

Physical immortality would prove to be everywhere as much Hell as retaining 100 years of life memories in an eternal metaphysical place. Despite the rromantic mythos of sexy vampires, who, it should not be forgotten, are loathsome blood-parasites of some astral composition (according to the literature), physical immortality would result in spiritual stagnation and an even worse regression.

Poimandres is correct on this. It is fear of dissolution and blind lust-greed for existence that keeps one on the Wheel of Life, going nowhere but round-and-round - a meta-Hell which includes lesser Hells, but Hells nevertheless. I am into health and longevity, but at the same time, I practice ego-death in every moment in which I realize that I am acting in an addictive way (lust, hunger, thirst for intoxicants, experience, self-aggrandizement, etc.). I am not a timid monk, and I am not a worldling. I live The Middle Way - The Razor's Edge. We all partake of temporality and eternality (I happen, synchronistically, to be listening to the Grateful Dead song 'Eternity')! If you yearn for physical immortality, then you are way out of balance and that fantasy is not too far from delusion and hence psychosis. So, come back towards center. Let your unfounded desires die. Through despair, you'll get closer to Reality.

Blog Entries
    On the other hand, you could live forever and still not exhaust the mystery
    that life is. It doesn't have to be an ego thing.

Ideally, one would want an organic body while also making use of inorganic
    bodies which have much longer life spans.

I, too, am of the opinion that the life of the physical body can be extended,
    perhaps 1000 years, but not immortal in the absolute sense.

If the consciousness be made immortal, there is no need for the body to be so.

I have a goal, which is almost impossible to achieve in my life, so that's why I'm studying Alchemy, that's why I'm so interested at Philosopher's Stone, that's why I want to gain physical immortality (or few hundreds years longer life). If I could done my aim, I would be happy to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    If you ever look at Buddhist art you will be familiar with a common motif of the worldly karma circle in which all life and death happens surrounded by a few isolated figures...those figures are the initiated Buddhas that have obtained true immortality and will forever reign outside the life-death cycles of the material universe. I digress... regardless, I am curious to know why you seek physical immortality.
    It is most interesting that the Hermetic Corpus (Asclepius especially) contains teachings that are almost identical to a sort of hybrid between Buddhist and proto-Christian ideas, namely that the "punishment" for not conducting the work of ascent to the One is to be trapped forever in transmigration. I do suspect there was quite a bit of cross fertilization between Ancient India at the time of the Buddha, and Greece at the time of Plato... They seem to be addressing many of the same issues.

*Zephyr*

+ Reply to Thread